Dive reports with beach/weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

9/6
1st dive was with Sh@rkW@tcher at the culverts and stats are listed above.
The culverts were awesome to say the least. I did manage to get myself a nice mangrove for dinner. He cleaned house with a very nice assortment of table fare. There was a lot of life and action out there. Was A great learning experience and I need to Thank Sh@rkW@tcher for his time and the tips he gave me. Landed us right smack dab on the culverts with his stealth gear. Great guy all the way around and look forward to diving with him again in the future.

2nd dive.
11:30 am
Tide - slack
surface - flat
Depth - 18'
temp - 88
viz. - 5' at beginning getting worse through dive.
Down time - 1 hr.
Did second yak dive at the public beach by sharky's. Spent the dive learning the area and enjoying the tropicals out on the reef.

Matt

---------- Post added September 7th, 2014 at 05:31 AM ----------

Bestshooter - There really are no good, bad or secret spots as the bottom changes. Just look for reef areas and work the holes or openings in the reefs as well the outer perimeters. If you want big teeth your best bet is a dive boat or a yak dive. That will up your odds.

Matt

Thanks Matt ,
weve done a few charters but do quite a bit beach diving was just trying to find good areas that have produced for others in the past . We have found HUNDREDS of little teeth this week but would love to find some decent sized ones sometime.

How bout lionfish? Anyone see any good areas of these ?

One thing to remember when looking for big teeth. They are not always lying fully exposed. You need to look for the root or part of the root sticking up only most of the time. I have only found one tooth just lying on the surface waiting fully exposed. the other three were actually wedged pretty good down in the gravel with only the tip of a root exposed. I call those lucky finds as I just happened to grab them amongst all the other rock looking objects.

Thankfully I have not seen one lionfish in any of my dive spots in Venice. As much as I love to eat them, I hate what they are doing to our precious reefs and wish they just did not exist here. unfortunately I am sure time will change my first sentence at which point I will do everything I can to decimate them and protect my favorite and most consistent dive area.

Matt

9/28/2014
Service Club
8:45 am
Wind E @ 5
Seas Flat
Water Temp 83
Vis 2'-4'
Max depth 23'
dive Time 2 hrs
Finds usual small stuff and a nice 2 1/4 " mako
came across several large, about 2' dia., jellyfish luckily they have the short tentacles
001_crop.jpg

Were those big moon jellies or small pink meanie jellies?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom