Dive resort suggestions - North Sound or Victoria or Vancouver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockyHeap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I want to drive north and head up to Vancouver or Victoria to take the wife away for her Birthday and a suprise dive trip. Heck even the San Juans / Orcas Island / Anacortes would be a fun change over the central sound. We LOVE wall dives with above average viz, any suggestions?

Anyone have a favorite dive resort to brag up?, doesn't have to be fancy, 3 star place is fine, but would like a dive package including boat dives and a room for a couple nights. Trying to keep costs down, but want to do a nice weekend of couple days of diving and couple nights in a hotel/motel/resort trip for us.

I've searched several resorts as listed in the Northwest Dive news, but haven't found "the right" place yet.

These guys "The Buccaneer Inn" in Nanaimo seem to have decent rates, and are directly across from both Ocean Explorers and Sundown Diving's boats on the harbor waterfront. Any comments on the Buc Inn or either dive op?

http://www.divingbc.com/dive_package.htm

THANKS!

Last edited:
Have you considered any destination further north, such as Port Hardy or Quadra island? Beautiful walls, good to terrific visibility, and a lot of marine life. Diving in this area(Nanaimo) is pretty good too--a nice selection of wrecks and walls, serviced by my favourite dive operation--Diver's Choice. Unless you wanted to visit Vancouver, I'd skip it and head straight for the island. Staying and diving in Victoria would mean less driving if that is a factor. Hope this helps...

Rocky stay at the coast or coastal hotel, ther is great views of the bay, Island, the cost is'nt much more than cheap places, nice sauna, jacquzzi, gym.

I have stayed there many times, you vehicle is in a locked parking garage.

I can go on but you get the drift, espically for a birthday.

Ed singer is a great fella at sundown, and Eaon hall at ocean Explores is always agood time to have beers with after the dive at the local pub/restraunt.

Happy Diving

I like the Buccaneer Inn ... it's always the first place I try to book when I go to Nanaimo, because it caters to divers. There's a dryng room in the basement, and a hose to rinse gear just outside by the parking area. Rates are good, the rooms are clean ... nothing fancy, but all a diver really needs. Plus, as you say, it's right across the street from the dive charters.

As for charters, I prefer Diver's Choice. Ken and Carolyn are really nice people, and very accommodating in terms of trying to get you to sites that YOU want, rather than where they want to take you. They have some kind of package deal with the Painted Turtle, which is another reasonably nice place to stay downtown (close to restaurants and other things to do).

Or, if the San Juan Islands are a preference, give Bandito/Naknek Charters a call ... they now own the dive shop in Friday Harbor, and maintain a dive boat there. Bandito is always a great time, and they do visit the outer walls (like Turn Point) often. Quite likely they can help you hook up with a nice Bed and Breakfast right in Friday Harbor ... which is always a nice place to spend a bit of time when you're not underwater.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Do you feel like a few extra hours of driving? Up at the northern part of Vancouver Island, near Port Hardy, are some great dive lodges. There is God's Pocket resort to consider as well as Browning Pass Resort - both have unbelievable diving.

If that's too far, have you looked at Abyssal Diving Lodge and Charter near Campbell River? All three of these resorts aren't super fancy but have great diving, great hosts and great food.

If those aren't right either, perhaps you want to dive the sunken 737 in Chemainus. as well as other dives in the area? If that's the case consider the Chemainus Festival Inn dive package with CoolDives.com and 49th Parallel Dive Charters?

You can see write-ups for them at my site ......or PM me for more information.

Good luck and good dives.

Hey thanks all for the great ideas, exactly the feedback I wanted. Keep 'em coming.......

If Fiji was just a little bit closer, heck, it's only 5" away on the map I have..

Another vote for Abyssal Diving Lodge on Quadra Island. I haven't been to Port Hardy yet but Quadra Island with Abyssal is the best experience I've had to date.

Back
Top Bottom