Dive Rite battery replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In an effort to be more helpful, check out this thread and PM the OP:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/classifieds-lights/309192-diy-canisters.html

He builds these lights himself and thus might be able to help you out with your battery situation.

Yes I googled, that's why i posted here.

350Xfire is looking into it.

I was trying to see if anyone else had found something pre-made. Lots of these lights out there, figured there has to be more then one solution.

Thanks

Hey all,

I have a Dive Rite 10w HID light. The battery is dead. I can buy a DR replacement for $170.00 at dive gear express. I think this is a crazy price.

Batteryspace has ones for $50.00, but they are sold out. NiMH Battery Pack 12V 4500mAh (50Wh 10x4/3AF ) for DIY Diving light: HID / Halogen

Any ideas for another battery choice?

Thanks!

Can you work with a soldering iron?

Cut open your dead battery pack and replace them with batteries of the same milliamp and voltage. You can opt for higher milliamp (capacity) if the batteries are the same size - this will provide longer burn time.

Good luck.

Batteryspace is temporarily out of the 4/3AF cells that go into these batteries. It should only be a week or so before they get more.

Can you work with a soldering iron?

Cut open your dead battery pack and replace them with batteries of the same milliamp and voltage. You can opt for higher milliamp (capacity) if the batteries are the same size - this will provide longer burn time.

Good luck.

I would tear it apart but it has a different battery. It was sent to me with this battery. 12v-1.3ah

So as long as I get 12v I can go higher on ah? And if I find a 9000mah, it's the same as 9ah right?

Could this work, but it's only 5ah but that is stock for a slimline can: http://www.batteryspace.com/nimhbat...packforreplacementofdivinglightsalvo9amp.aspx

Thanks
Sheahan

P.S. it's the wreck canister not slimline, so I have more room.

Attachments

• IMG_0699.jpg
    IMG_0699.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 198
Did some reading and now I am wondering if the li-ion batteries would be better.

Oh boy I don't know.

I would tear it apart but it has a different battery. It was sent to me with this battery. 12v-1.3ah

So as long as I get 12v I can go higher on ah? And if I find a 9000mah, it's the same as 9ah right?

Could this work, but it's only 5ah but that is stock for a slimline can: NiMH Battery Pack: 12V 5Ah NiMH Battery Pack for replacement of Diving light ( Salvo 9Amp)

Thanks
Sheahan

P.S. it's the wreck canister not slimline, so I have more room.

Damn, that is one funky looking battery pack. It appears to be a lead battery.

Yes, you can go up to 9amp (same as 9000mah) if you're using a wreck canister.

Yes, the 12v 5amp pack will work in your wreck canister, but it's about half the burn time as a 9amp pack. Also, you may have play/movement inside the canister if the pack is designed to be used in a slim line. Play is not a big deal, you could fill the dead space using foam.

Don't sweat Li-ion. The advantage is they don't self discharge as quickly as NiMh.
They can operate at a higher energy density than most rechargeables, which means that for their size or weight they can store more energy than NiMh or NiCd. They also operate at higher voltages than other rechargeables, The benefit is that a single cell can often be used rather than multiple NiMH cells.

The down side is that they are more costly. In addition, you will need a chargers that can carefully monitor the charge process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom