Dive Rite LED Backup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!

Contributor
Reaction score
Picked up a Dive Rite LED Backup light on Saturday & just tried it out at the quarry today. Need to reserve judgement, as I wasn't impressed today. Granted, it was daytime (but very overcast) and 10' vis, but had trouble even illuminating under overhangs & into overhead areas (peering in from the outside of a building, etc.).

I'm hoping this was due to the poor vis & the fact that this light puts out a fairly diffuse beam. At home, in a dark room, it puts out a nice white glow....I hope that it can shed a little light on a night dive in the Caribbean, for example. Seems that it will.

I realize this is not a light intended as a primary, but thought it would cut through the water a bit more than it did. Clearly, even in conditions that were nearing "twilight" (at 2pm, raining), it would not be effective for signaling.

Just a quick review....Hopefully I'll be able to test it out in better conditions soon.

Jim

I have it too, and so far, have been unimpressed. I have only used it during day dives (trying to light up e.g. holes or shaded areas). It produced a dim red light. But on the surface, it will blind you... I'm doing my first night dive this weekend. I'll try to update this report then...

Sounds good. I haven't had mine down at night yet, so I'll be curious to hear what you think. It brightens up a dark room fairly well, but I'm not sure how it'd do in the quarry water here, and haven't had time to get down to the springs/ocean since I bought it.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom