Dive Rite Reg or other cold water suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am shopping for a reg and don't know what to buy. I want to do things right the first time so if I have to spend more money then so be it. Of course I would love to be able to buy a titanium Atomic Reg, but I am just a lowly college student. I was looking at the Mares MR12 Axis, but after talking to the LDS I don't think it would be best for the cool to cold water in the quarries of Ohio and Kentucky that I will be spending most of my time in. I am now considering the lone offering from Dive Rite, but it didn't do well in Rodale's tests. Any one have any opinions?

I'll put a vote in for apex. Its pretty standard over here in the UK and we have plenty of cold water. They breath well and always do well in reviews. You should be able to get a TX40 for a reasonable price.

I kinow a college budget can be tight - OK - it's been 13 yrs since I was in college - but I remember! I would go with APEKS - an on-line sources from across the pond (DIVEINN.COM) had the best prices when I bought mine last year. I got a TX50/DS4 with TX40 octo for $319. I only dive warm (so far) but I hope to never have to buy another reg.

I haven't had a problem with my Apeks regs ice diving with an IP set at 130psi. You can't beat DiveINN's prices, but Simply Scuba allows you to mix second stages and first stages (ie. ATX50/DS4).

Mike

I would go with the Apeks with the DS4 first stage OR the Poseidon Odin. Either way I would buy it online for the best deal.

The Poseidon Odin is very inexpensive at LeisurePro $249.00

I have both the Apeks TX50/TX40 with the DST(I would get the DS4 this time around) and the Poseidon Odin and they both are great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom