Dive Rite Sidemount Packages any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys,
I did my Tec sidemount training with the Apeks Sidemount, but the price for that set sets me a bit off...
So now I'm thinking of buying the Dive Rite RG3ICE Sidemount Reg Package.
seems a good deal for money.

Any comments about the RG3 regs?

Does anyone know how much they weight? I do plan to travel with the sidemount regs, so I would pay a bit more for more lighter set.

Tbone talked about them...
imho get the XT.

This info is about the XT, I believe the RG3 is roughly the same.
As for the travel part... Well, I don't know about you, but I consider diving to be underwater, so if the good regs are heavier, well, so be it. However, to try to answer, they feel quite a bit lighter than an apeks FST, but can't tell exact weight. I get about 2kg for 1st stage + 2 2nd stages + short small spg + short inflator (ie single tank setup). According to a 5$ scale that is... There's probably the info somewhere on the web though.

Last edited:
man, I thought people were bad asking the same thread question multiple times a week....

The RG3 has been discontinued, that is why DGX is able to be clearing them out for so cheap.

You're in Europe, so Apeks service is going to be easier to come by. With that said, you can buy a couple sets of used ATX50's and get the same basic regulator setup out of that. You don't have the wide exhaust T's or the ability to reverse them, but you can check ebay or your local craigslist equivalent for DST/ATX50 sets and make your own.The first stages haven't changed, and the second stages are all but identical internally.

Hi Peter,

I don't know if you are still looking for some insight, but this is what I have for you. My dive buddy is a pretty big Dive Rite fanatic. Along those same lines, I have been diving nothing but HOG for a while now and absolutely love them. I will say that performance wise, I think that the regs will breathe as easy or hard as you want them to. With HOG releasing their new, reversible second stage, they have rounded out their side mount diver's requests pretty well. To me, it comes down to two separate thought paths:

Dive Rite - Great regs and comes in a package that is ready to dive out of the box. No guess work involved.

HOG - You build your own package and make it a more personal experience in choosing your regulator setup.

You cannot go wrong with Dive Rite. However, HOG is nothing to shy away from at all. I hope you have some great dives in 2015

The reversible Zenith was a limited run, and was still a really bloody AWFUL design, really a truly terrible way to go about reversing a regulator. Haven't pulled apart the new XT's, but unless they did it the way Apeks did with the XTX it probably isn't that good either. The XTX is a brilliant design and since it isn't patented I'm shocked it hasn't been copied yet. Stupid simple, requires essentially no tools other than the wrench to get the hose and collar off, and takes no extra parts to loose so you can reverse it in 2 minutes on a boat if you had to.

XTX is the way to go. I dive the Hollis sidemount package (which I very much regret), but as soon as I can afford to do otherwise, I'll be getting the Apeks sediment package. As said above, the design is much better and the XTXs breathe much better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom