Dive Rite Transpac weight pocket idea (Zeagle)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Dive Rite Transpac and really like it as a BCD. Depending on my diving, I need different amounts of weight to get down. For warm fresh water, I dive in a rashguard and need 2lbs to get down. For saltwater trips to Cozumel, I dive in a 3mm and need around 18lbs to nail the safety stop at the end. My Transpac came with the Dive Rite 32lb weight pockets which were overkill for my needs. I wanted something smaller that would be out of the way and the 16lb DR pockets were not quite enough for my needs.

I sold the DR pockets and ordered a bunch of the XS Scuba 5lb pockets. First I got the velcro attached ones since they are so easy to install and they fell off on a dive... So then I ordered the XS Scuba pockets that slide onto the belt and they worked well with the exception of having trouble with certain sizes of soft weights. Like a 1lb soft weight would fall out of it and a 5lb soft weight was hard to get into the pocket and get it safely closed.

I also missed my Zeagle Brigade weight pockets a bit because I liked the zipper top, quick release bottom, and fully enclosed pocket that could fit any size soft or hard weight. This morning it came to me... steal the rear weight pockets off of my daughter's Brigade! (I'll get her some more of course :))

These fit all of my criteria for weight pockets. Zippered, quick release, accomodated multiple weight sizes, and had a total weight capacity of 20lbs. The problem is their attachment loop is larger than 2 inches so it will slip over a D-ring, also the upper velcro attachment just kinda gets in the way because it has nothing to attach to.

My solution was to use my Zeagle shears and trim the velcro attachment strap off the weight pocket :) Then use a D-ring in front of the pocket to hold its position on the belt. To insure it didn't slip over the D-ring, I ran a zip tie through the loop on the weight pocket and back through one of the small holes on the metal harness attachment on the Transpac harness. (You could also do this on the small D-ring on the backplate, but I wanted to leave those open for other uses) This appears to be exactly what it needed to hold the weight pocket in place on the 2 inch waist strap. I haven't dived it yet, but I think its going to be a good setup.

Also, these 20lb Zeagle pockets are half the price of Dive Rite 16lb pockets at Scuba Toys and can be had there for $45 a pair with the SB discount. I'm sure if you poked around the net, a pair could be had at a cheaper price as well.

I wanted to throw this idea out to other Transpac owners that may have been looking for a similar solution. Hope this helps someone else as well.

I have not actually done this yet, but I had the same idea a few days ago. I own a Stiletto and never use the rear weight pockets. They interfere with the rear dump valves and make it slightly more difficult to attach tanks so I removed mine a few months back.

I was investigating ideas for ditchable weights for BP/W setups and remembered the Zeagle pockets.

Let me know how they work out for you.

Jarrett,

Do you have any pictures?

Thanks
Minh

Back
Top Bottom