Dive shop expectations on "Tank Fills"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys...

I am trying to get a good feel when it comes to filling your tanks with nitrox at your LDS... If you ask for 32, do you get 32...?

Dropping off 4 tanks, I can get clean air in 2-4 days but Nitrox is becoming a problem. Shop is waiting for gas or has little to none to fill the requirement and may take a week or two.

They appear to be low on a magic ingredient needed for nitrox fills: "Money".

Their gas supplier would be happy to fill the shop with O2 bottles if they could pay for it. The only reason they would be "waiting for gas" is if they can't afford to pay for gas.

I'm not sure what you're asking about "32". If I ask for 32% (or 27% or 50% or 80%), I get what I ask for, +/- maybe 0.2%. Are you saying that they're not accurate, or that they won't do the fill you need?

flots.

Most shops that I know have more than one O2 bottle to fill NitrOx. As for humidity and heat, they would affect air fills as much as NitrOx fills. You should ask them about it and tell them your concerns.

Wow, I've only ever waited a day for fills and that is rare! I'm not in a diving hot spot either. 99% of the time the tanks get filled on the spot with air or nitrox. With nitrox I generally get within the range of +/- 1% of what I have asked for as most of my fills are partial pressure. One shop does banked EAN32 though.

Why on earth does it take them that long to do fills?

NetDoc... I let him know when I dropped off the tanks that I was pretty disappointed. I called him today and found out nitrox would not be available until next week so AIR it is but I am sure he knew I was a bit upset...!

Saspotato, No more than 1 day is what I expect but I am trying to be fair... I get pretty close to the mark on % when I get tanks at other shops when diving out of town but my lds can vary a bit, more like +/- 3%. Not real critical as I do my own testing so I know exactly what is what but would like it to be a bit tighter as well. I expressed this concern as well so I hope it hits home...

Thanks again for the input; I just want to be fair on my part as well!!!

lee

They appear to be low on a magic ingredient needed for nitrox fills: "Money".

Their gas supplier would be happy to fill the shop with O2 bottles if they could pay for it. The only reason they would be "waiting for gas" is if they can't afford to pay for gas.

I'm not sure what you're asking about "32". If I ask for 32% (or 27% or 50% or 80%), I get what I ask for, +/- maybe 0.2%. Are you saying that they're not accurate, or that they won't do the fill you need?

flots.

Yes, I am saying they were not accurate...! I not real sure its a money problem or as I said in a previous post "I think he may forget alot" or such...

I agree that you should get what you ask for so I am probably going to give them one more chance with the nitrox but if the tanks come up short or the mix is off then maybe we will be off... off to another shop...!

Thanks, lee

If the shop is using partial pressure blending (does anyone do that nowadays) then he may well have difficulty in arriving at a precise result. In any case, if a tank of nitrox has been filled in that way, you should roll it and measure the content several hours later. With ppb I would recommend leaving a tank overnight before use, and re-analysis directly before use.

I keep nitrox 32 and 36 banked, so it is as quick and accurate to fill a tank with standard nitrox as it is with air.

Hey guys...

I am trying to get a good feel when it comes to filling your tanks with nitrox at your LDS... If you ask for 32, do you get 32...?

Dropping off 4 tanks, I can get clean air in 2-4 days but Nitrox is becoming a problem. Shop is waiting for gas or has little to none to fill the requirement and may take a week or two.

I realize some shops can fill on the spot and if I was diving a "hot spot" e.g. the islands, FL coast or such then I would be looking or maybe expecting same day/hour service...! BUT, my local dive shop tends to take more than just several days... The say the humidity is too high or its too hot or....

I appreciate my local shop but there are a couple of choices in the area that I have avoided so far. I mentioned that two weeks was way too long to wait for Nitrox and I was disappointed with this so we ended up with clean O2. Tanks were dropped off on Monday and we will be diving Saturday... Should a shop have more than one tank of gas on hand if they fill with Nitrox or at least be ahead of the curve and order before they get to low....?

Mind you, this is a small shop and I really have no idea of how many tanks they fill a week (lake and quarry's around here) but are my expectations a bit high or is someone dropping the ball...?

Thanks for you input,

lee

my guess the shop is out and cant get o2 yet. my lds got told that they could not get o2 with out a renewed perscription. took some time. as far as the high humidity.. they seem to be saying they have faulty moisture filters in thier system.

it would be interesting to know if they fill on site or send out for the nitrox.

thier new insurance may have put the kibosh on pp blending also.

either way i would find a new fill shop

a small shop that is equiped should be able to fill on the spot. in and out in a half hour.

If you are going to use Nitrox on a regular basis, you need to frequent a shop that makes Nitrox part of its regular routine.

The shop I originally got certified in will provide Nitrox . . . but only the owner is allowed to mix it, and he does it when he has time or when there are enough tanks to make it worthwhile, so one can wait a week or more for a fill. That doesn't work for me; I often dive several times a week, and I dive nothing but 32% for recreational dives. So I switched to a shop that banks 32%, and is willing to partial pressure blend while I wait if their banks aren't full.

We have a local shop that SAYS they have Nitrox, but they are frequently out of O2. It's precisely what has been mentioned -- cash flow. If you can't pay for the O2, you don't get it.

a small shop that is equiped should be able to fill on the spot. in and out in a half hour.

NO! If they are using partial pressure blending they cannot fill a tank that quickly. The mix may well be wrong but in any case will be impossible to measure, the fill pressure may be wrong, and it will be extremely dangerous for the person filling the tank and anyone else nearby.

NO! If they are using partial pressure blending they cannot fill a tank that quickly. The mix may well be wrong but in any case will be impossible to measure, the fill pressure may be wrong, and it will be extremely dangerous for the person filling the tank and anyone else nearby.

the half hour was not in reference to pp blending only the op's 2-4 days for clean air statement.

I've had people try to rush me to fill 32% in an hour, which I can do, but it's not going to be anywhere near as accurate as when they leave the tank overnight. Tanks getting hot is dangerous and inaccurate, that's all there is to it.

I'm still a fan of filling your own tanks with 02 then topping off at the LDS. For less than a $300 investment, you avoid alot of hassle.

If I want to wait, I can wait for any fill. The fill will be a hot fill which is never preferred for me but the option is there. Many of the shops will also try to let the tank cool and then top it off again to limit the shrink. The waits can be long for some fills but when I have to drive 1 hour each way to the closest shop.....I prefer to wait and prevent another trip.

Personally, if I was you, I would find somewhere else to spend my money (assuming you have that option). If that is too big a PITA, then lay it on the line with the guy you are with now and take no BS from them. If they think you will accept BS, they'll give you BS.

Back
Top Bottom