Dive shop expectations on "Tank Fills"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But too often it's impracticable. Down here in Belize that is what I intended to do, as it is extremely hot and humid, but I couldn't make it work. You need monstrous (and down here incredibly expensive) air conditioners to cope with 52cfm, and with the salt air and erratic power supply they rarely last more than a year. It's cheaper and infinitely easier to deal with the wear-and-tear on compressors and filters. Incidentally, a set of three filters for a Bauer top-of-the-range filtration system here lasts 3-4 weeks (6 absolute max) and costs over US$700. Compare that with prices and lives anywhere in the US.

sorry about that i did not think of pumping at that volumn. after reading your post again i was not thinking of air conditoning the compessor only sucking air from an air conditioned space lika a room with a window ac unit.

regards

Not kidding at all... I asked for 32 and received 29! Not only that but only 2480psi. My understanding is he filled my 100cf for an 80cf (which my wife has) and I have 100's.
lee

Size of bottles have no bearing on how it's mixed. Today I mixed 12 tanks. 4 AL80's, 4 Steel LP85's, 4 LP121's.

I put 450psi in all 12 tanks. When I was done I had the same mix +/- .2 percent in all 12 tanks.

Size of bottles have no bearing on how it's mixed. Today I mixed 12 tanks. 4 AL80's, 4 Steel LP85's, 4 LP121's.

I put 450psi in all 12 tanks. When I was done I had the same mix +/- .2 percent in all 12 tanks.

Seems to me that should have resulted in 33% (32.85) in the 3000 psi tanks, and 34% (34.4) in the 2650 tanks if you filled them to rated pressures.

I am living in the Texas panhandle, 600 miles from the ocean, 165 miles from the closest reasonable dive spot in the middle of 100's of miles of nothing.

I can still get nitrox fills, within 1/2% of request, while I wait (about 45 minutes for 2 tanks). If I bring a load of 6 tanks, I choose to pick them up later. There are always labeled correctly and have ~3100-3200 lbs (AL80's). I do have to pay a slightly higher price ($13ea) but the guy knows how to provide service.

I think your shop is sloppy, plain and simple. I would prefer not to trust that type of clown, who know how well he maintains his filter system and compressor.

Seems to me that should have resulted in 33% (32.85) in the 3000 psi tanks, and 34% (34.4) in the 2650 tanks if you filled them to rated pressures.

They were NOT filled to rated pressures. SILLYNESS! Who fills LP tanks to rated pressures? That's just goofyness.

They were NOT filled to rated pressures. SILLYNESS! Who fills LP tanks to rated pressures? That's just goofyness.

Yes, if they are all filled to the same pressure, then that is the way it should be. I have a hard enough time getting tanks filled to their rated pressure at local shops. Forget about overfills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorenson View Post
Not kidding at all... I asked for 32 and received 29! Not only that but only 2480psi. My understanding is he filled my 100cf for an 80cf (which my wife has) and I have 100's.
lee

I think your misunderstanding me... These were HP100's! Should have been 3200-3400psi. The 2480 he loaded was a short fill...

lee

Hmm, I've yet to see a shop that didn't sell nitrox. But, I do live in florida and not in the stone age.

You need to crawl out from under your rock (stone?) more often then, Austin's Dive Center in Miami, one of the highest volume shops in the state, does NOT sell nitrox. Whether it's true or not, I don't know but they say it's a zoning issue with their location.

I've yet to wait for an air fill. One place told me to pick up my tanks the next day. I laughed and told him if he wasn't joking I'll go else where. He wasn't, I left.

A LDS that can't fill tanks on the spot, on demand is just taking up space, IMO.

I've yet to wait for an air fill. One place told me to pick up my tanks the next day. I laughed and told him if he wasn't joking I'll go else where. He wasn't, I left.

A LDS that can't fill tanks on the spot, on demand is just taking up space, IMO.

I would pretty much agree with that for air and any banked nitrox blends. If I was wanting a percentage that would need to be mixed, then I would expect to have to leave my tanks.

Back
Top Bottom