Dive shop moral dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guinsu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I have a moral dilemma about my local dive shop and training. I was AOW certified this fall, I did the classwork on my own then did 4 dives at a nearby quarry. I was planning to take nitrox with them this spring. I just found out about another nearby shop that is more technically focused than the one I've been going to, which appeals to me. They mentioned their AOW class includes nitrox and dry suit training plus a quarry and ocean dive. I feel like it might be in my best interests to retake AOW with them since it is probably not much more than taking nitrox and dry suit with my old shop and they seem more geared towards where I think I want to go technically. I guess I just feel disloyal or worry I might get different treatment at my LDS if they bump into me at the quarry with another shop or find out I decided to take my nitrox elsewhere. Am i just being silly?

So I have a moral dilemma about my local dive shop and training. I was AOW certified this fall, I did the classwork on my own then did 4 dives at a nearby quarry. I was planning to take nitrox with them this spring. I just found out about another nearby shop that is more technically focused than the one I've been going to, which appeals to me. They mentioned their AOW class includes nitrox and dry suit training plus a quarry and ocean dive. I feel like it might be in my best interests to retake AOW with them since it is probably not much more than taking nitrox and dry suit with my old shop and they seem more geared towards where I think I want to go technically. I guess I just feel disloyal or worry I might get different treatment at my LDS if they bump into me at the quarry with another shop or find out I decided to take my nitrox elsewhere. Am i just being silly?

Suspect the AOW includes drysuit and nitrox adventure dives. This still does not qualify you to dive with nitrox or drysuit - It's simply an experience under direct supervision by an instructor...

So I would suggest not to retake your AOW and instead do nitrox and drysuit as specialities instead.

Ditto the comment about needing a full nitrox course (can't comment on dry suit), but why doesn't the "other nearby shop" also qualify as an LDS? Can't you use them for your diving needs if they are more appealing? It's not like the first LDS gets dibs on you because you went to them first.

I am a LDS owner. If I am unable to satisfy my customer needs I will help them find someone that can. The LDS must be loyal to their customers as well. I believe that there is an arrogant attitude at some stores that their customer must dive with them/train with them/spend your money with them. I think we would all be better off if we were just happy you continued diving. So....go with what works for YOU. You risk offending your current LDS at the risk of YOU becoming a better diver. Talk to your current LDS and see if what they might work out for you. If they are not technical oriented and that is the way you want to go then your decision is obvious. YOU have a NEW LDS.

If your current LDS is customer friendly it shouldn't bother them at all that you got further training elsewhere. If they are not customer friendly then why are you worried about being "loyal" to them.

Diving is a great sport. Do what works for you and you will continue to enjoy diving.

There are really two different issues here. One is the "moral" question you believe you are facing and the other revolves around training. Certification for Nitrox requires no dives under most agencies now. For PADI, Drysuit requires 1 pool and 2 open water dives. I doubt you are getting those as part of an AOW class, however, its possible they are bundled together as a deal -- in which case you would be doing 7 dives (again under PADI). So make sure you are doing an Apples to Apples comparison.

As far as switching LDSs, there is no 'moral' question per se. Rather ask yourself what type of relationship you have or want to build with either shop. If the other shop genuinely offers a better training regimine ('more technical') than your current shop, then I would go to my current LDS and ask them about their technical classes. If they have no ability/interest in going to 'the dark side', then you shouldn't feel obligated to stick with them nor akward in future meetings. Simply tell them that you wanted to go Technical, you asked and they weren't interested, and so you found another shop that better met your needs.

Yeah, I would look into what esp said above about the course.

As for "other shops" well...:popcorn:

Can you handle having two girlfriends? :wink:

I personally hold no loyalty to any one shop and prefer to spread the wealth around but I live in a LARGE city with many options and I don't and never will depend on a LDS for socialization so take my comments with that in mind.

It's silly when shops get jealous but MOST do so good luck. My suggestion is to usually pick the shop that isn't jealous (if that even happens) as that shop is usually the one who is really concerned about you and what YOU want and less about their competition. IMHO, it's a bad thing if a shop spends too much time bad mouthing every other shop. What YOU WANT is most important here.

Moral question? Did you sell your soul to the first LDS and also promise that you would give a certain amount of your income each year to them to support them? Well it you did you might have a moral problem then. Also if you promised them a certain financial commitment and you spend too much eating out or on other forms of entertainment, you might have a moral problem. since you made the promise or signed the contract with them.

If it is a business/customer relationship then you need to purchase products and services from places that sell what you need. I like Mexican food, but I also like Middle Eastern food too. I never try to get one place to cook for me what the other place does well--I just go to the place that willingly offers the service I want. If I asked Marcilino at the Mexican place or Zuhair at the Middle Eastern place to cook something special, I am a good enough customer that I think they would try to help me out. However, I usually just order off the menu with a little addition or subtraction.

I think you're looking at two entirely diffrerent things....you have AOW so you don't need to take it again just because the other shop offers that as adventure dives for THEIR AOW class...MY LDS offered Deep, Nav (the two required dives) and Search and Recovery, Peak Buoyancy, and Night as the elective dives. A shop I took a wreck course with has the two required dives, but a guy that was doing his AOW with them took Boat, and Wreck (as well as PPB) as HIS elective dives...the Nitrox course you are taking is probably the specialty (which I'm not sure if that qualifies you to USE Nitrox or not if you take it as an adventure dive) and Dry suit which from what I've gathered isn't a requirement to use a dry suit, just a very helpful course.

Why let it worry you if you take a specialty with another shop? Mine does offer wreck (I think) but I'd rather do my wreck diving specialty in the Keys than in a quarry in PA...so I took it down there. If you like the instructors/courses at another shop so be it...

it is your money which every way you will go.
Personally..I would avoid an AOW combo course but rather do a full Nitrox course and a full drysuit course. Maybe strike a deal and get a better price if you take two specialties.

Thanks for all the advice, I think the new LDS includes nitrox training since they mentioned it was 6 dives. It sounds like the most sensible option is to look at nitrox and dry suit specialty training at the new shop and see how it compares to what my local shop offers.

I guess I was worried about the jealousy factor, I mean everyone at the old shop is very nice but I have seen small business owners get "jealous" in the past. Oh well,I will deal with that when/if I have to.

Back
Top Bottom