Dive shop recommendations in Lagos, Portugal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’m in Lagos/Algarve until early August. We’re thinking of this area for retirement

Does anyone have a dive shop they like?

I’m in Lagos/Algarve until early August. We’re thinking of this area for retirement

Does anyone have a dive shop they like?
Let us know. I read an article on Americans retiring in Portugal because it's so darned expensive here in the US. Our neighbors just left to continue their retirement in Portugal this past month, and another guy I know mentioned he's considering the same thing. I read that there are 45% more Americans living there than a year ago, and the graph showed the number climbing steadily after around 2016. Anyway, let us know about the diving opportunities.

Good diving there?
No idea, supposed to be the best diving in Europe. With all deference to those who don’t get to dive in salt water, that could be like saying “it’s the best diving in Kansas”

No idea, supposed to be the best diving in Europe. With all deference to those who don’t get to dive in salt water, that could be like saying “it’s the best diving in Kansas”

I was never scuba diving there but did some freediving.
It is not the best diving in Europe nor in Portugal. The islands: Azores and Madeira would be the best diving in the country.
In continental Portugal probably Sesimbra, south of Lisbon.

The coastline topside is likely one of the nicest in Portugal though.

I was never scuba diving there but did some freediving.
It is not the best diving in Europe nor in Portugal. The islands: Azores and Madeira would be the best diving in the country.
In continental Portugal probably Sesimbra, south of Lisbon.

The coastline topside is likely one of the nicest in Portugal though.
I saw something on a television documentary about seahorses being abundant in Algarve. That would be enough to get me to dive there.

That is in Ria Formosa not in Lagos (90 km away).
I looked up Ria Formosa. . . in 2000 there were 30 seahorses/m^2, now on the verge of extinction, but apparently recovering.

I'm used to driving 3+ hours to dive, 90 km like is next door. It would be certainly worth a trip

In Algarve, I got nice feedback of diving in Sagres, which is closer to Lagos and is the southwestern end of Europe.

In Algarve, I got nice feedback of diving in Sagres, which is closer to Lagos and is the southwestern end of Europe.
I took a side trip to Sagres and tried a couple dives there. I did not bring any of my gear (upon threat of pain of death from my wife), so I had to use their rental equipment. It was the first time I used a 7mm wetsuit (I went from warm water to drysuit diving), and the gear was unfortunately not all that good.

In the operator's favor they did have 12L (100 ft^3) steel tanks, but only filled them to 200 bar. The wetsuit was too small and a huge PITA to get on, I had a major free-flow on the secondary before I splashed so I hit the bottom on the Norwegian freighter with about 120 bar (we agreed on a turn pressure of 140). The second dive was much better.

I'd go with the dive operator again. I appreciate how hard it must have been to stay open during the Covid epidemic, but only with my own gear and a drysuit. The diving was quite good and certainly worth return trips

Back
Top Bottom