Dive shop requirements for equipment purchases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Echo all the others to be careful of a shop that spouts caca. May be a predictor of ongoing headaches.

But, it sounds like you did get certified long ago? Certifications don't generally expire, do you just mean you don't have the actual card? Jumping straight back in the water after 20 years off is a bad idea, sure - but for the purposes of "needing to be certified to buy gear" if you can show a card I'd think you're good.
And, you can contact the certification agency to get a new card issued if it was lost.
might still be a good idea to take more training but perhaps a refresher course would be all you need?

---------- Post Merged at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:05 AM ----------

Thanks for all your responses. They have confirmed what I thought. My issue here is not that will not sell certain equipment with out certs it more the way they explained it. I would have been perfectbly comfortable if they said something like, this is our store policy or is out insurance requiment etc and would not have given the matter a second thought. They were polite and helpful.

As far as my certifications I began diving around 1965 with a older high school buddy. I doubt if there was a certifiction program within a 200 miles of me at the time. I later in 1969 received formal training in the USMC. I never had PADI or any kind of civilian certs. The dive shops (lol only 2 at the time) I used all knew me and accepted my dive log as proof of experience. That was not an unusul pratice back during that time frame. All my dive gear (3 complete sets) was stolen in a motel Fla around 1985 along with my log books and i just quit diving altogether after that.

With some a long gap in diving experience, newer equipment and advancing age I had personally decided (before i even visited a LDS) to do a complete certification program before i started back. I feel the need at my age to review training and re-evaluate my dive limits throughly as I am not lets say a spring chicken anymore .

I see. You never had a regular, recreational certification.
Have a great time in your return to diving!

I can't argue with being certified to USE the equipment, but see no reason to be certified to purchase it (perhaps not rebreathers or other advanced 'tech' type gear).

For what it's worth, I've never been asked for a c-card to buy gear, ANYWHERE.

Perhaps she would prefer you to buy online (/sarcasm... kind of)

If you are talking about the famous McDonalds coffee then that would not be a great example. They made their coffee at temps far above what would be reasonable and the spill caused 3rd degree burns (worse possible). The woman asked the company to cover her medical expenses (about 20k for, you know, skin graphs and such). When I hear people talking about corporate responsibility I expect the company to step up tot he plate in this case. They decided not to, I think most people would have assumed some responsibility and tried to work things out. The clowns decided they had more money and a longer life then the old woman and told her not to wash her crotch in coffee. she sued-good for her. The award was large-good for all of us because next time maybe they will think about doing the right thing when they contributed to injuring someone.

Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, that would be the one.

A company to step up to the plate for what? Some klutz dumping their coffee all over their lap? ...Seriously?...

Assume some responsibility for what? It's not like McDonalds reached out the window and poured the hot coffee in her lap. She spilled her coffee in her lap because she was holding it between her knees to remove the lid. What exactly did she think was going to happen? Duh... An accident looking for a place to happen.

Good for all of us?... how?... Do you really think companies just eat these types of frivolous expenses? After 20 years in the retail business I can guarantee you they do not. They jack their prices up and pass it on to the customer, THE REST OF US! $13.00 and change for a big-mac meal and a 4 peace chicken McNugget happy meal for my son... $13.00 for about 2 bucks worth of junk food!?!? I mumble a few choice words of appreciation for Mrs. Liebeck and people like her every time my son insist on eating at McDonalds.

They won't do the right thing next time... Payout settlement... jack up prices, pass on to customer. They did the right thing in the first place by trying to take a stand against liability b.s.

"ABC News called the case "the poster child of excessive lawsuits","

PADI have stipulations about the 'sale, rental and provision' of compressed air', but no such stipulation on gear, as part of their membership agreemen for Retailer Association. Reference PRA Membership Agreement Regarding equipment sales and service:

PADI PRD Membership Agreement 2008:
Offer for sale and stock, a selection of scuba and snorkeling equipment that includes (as a minimum) masks, fins, snorkels, BCDs, regulators, scuba cylinders, depth gauges, submersible pressure gauges, dive computers and exposure protection.

Offer service and equipment repair, including scuba cylinder visual inspections.

Maintain and inspect the rental cylinders and valves in accordance with all local laws governing scuba cylinder maintenance. If no local laws exist, the cylinders must be visually inspected at least once a year and maintained according to manufacturer recommendations.

Offer compressed air service. Compressed air must meet any local scuba diving air quality and testing standards or, if no local standards exist, the compressed air must meet the Compressed Gas Association (CGA), Table 1, Level E Standards for Scuba Diving Air:

Agree to sell, rent or provide compressed air for scuba purposes only to certified divers and student divers in training under a professional scuba instructor, unless prohibited by local law. If the business offers enriched air or other mixed gas services, it agrees to provide enriched air or other mixed gases only to divers certified in their use or student divers in training under a qualified enriched air or mixed gas instructor. If other types ofgas services or blending are ohfered, the business must ensure these gases meet federal, local and industry requirements for both filling and storage and that the
staff is trained to blend such gases using appropriate, accepted methods and equipment according to dive community practice and any regulations that may apply. Oxygen must be medical (USP) or aviator grade. Óperators need to meet local information provision requirements prior to providing this service,

I would probably give the dive shop credit for trying to do the right thing, even if they may not be technically correct. It wouln't be wise to risk selling an entire gear package by doing something stupid, like insisting on a mandatory course through the shop. The diver could simply order it on the internet. I'm sure that the shop owner would be well aware of that happening, especially in this present economy.

Given the circumstances, it appears the the owner is trying to actually help the customer, despite appearances to the contrary. It is really hard to turn down a sale when the mortgage is due but it is even harder to deal with an accident that was preventable.

Nobody goes into business to refuse to sell their goods.

Going for a dive on a boat without showing proof of certification is totally different from going into a dive shop to buy some kit.

Personally if somebody in a dive shop asked me for proof of certification to buy something I would tell them where they could stuff it. The only time I carry any of my C cards is when I go on overseas dive trips.
I'd show them my card and then tell them they lost a sale, personally. That's a ridiculous policy for any shop to hold.

"My plan is to purchase all my dive equipment before I begin the course so I will be using my own equipment. As i am familar with the equiment I am most comfortaable with I visited a local shop to discuss certifications and purhasing equipment prior to beginning the course."

This is where I see a bit of a sticky point. The LDS I worked out of in Canada, had a basic policy that they would not sell you any gear until after you've finished the course. This is done out of goodwill towards the customer/student, as, let's face it, before any course you really haven't got a clue what you would really like for gear.
Rent/borrow some for the course, try different BC's and regs and whatever....
Then, after you are sure scuba diving is for you (not everybody finishes the course!), then ask opinions of the instructors who taught you and the staff at the shop. Rent some gear and do a few dives. Go to a few different shops and rent their gear. Then, when you have a reasonably good idea of what you like and what you don't like, go shopping.
I think the dive shop has kind of the right idea about not selling gear before you take a course, they are just going about it kinda wrong.
Hope this helps!

This guy was diving before. He indicates he knows what he wants. While I do agree in principle with not selling someone a full gear set before they even take a class, just because some shops will try to push the most expensive, gimmicky, and unnecessary junk to new people, this is not the case here. No reason he can't walk into any shop or go on line and buy everything he needs, including tanks and a compressor if he wants to.

Yup... liability has gotten way out of hand in this country. When you can spill scalding hot coffee all over your self and not only sue someone else for it, but sue someone else for it and win with a $640,000 dollar award, then something is seriously wrong with the system.

If you look at the facts of that case, you might feel differently.

As for the original post, I seriously question any store that has stated they have no store policy, but are required to do that. Lot of LDS seem to have no clue and make up regulations as they go. Fills, nitrox stickers, gear etc etc. it is why I only shop online or with Tech Stores. Heck even some of those are clueless.

Back
Top Bottom