Dive shop versus online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jupiter,

Sorry I'm editing your post here but I wanted to use the above phrase to emphasize an aspect of this LDS vs. online debate that we always seem to gloss over.

That is, some people don't feel comfortable trying to negotiate a better deal with ANYONE. Some people even pay sticker price for a car. They see a Leisurepro price and an LDS price and think that's the end of the story. I myself can be vicious with a car salesman that I don't know, but the guys at the LDS who I consider friends - well, it's hard.

Yes this is true. If some people don't want to haggle then they shouldn't be expected to, just to support the local shop.

...and even more food for thought... :)

i will be doing business with my lds and would like to develop a relationship that works for both parties; seems to me that's the way it should be done. having said that, i'm sure i'll get something online at some point and i'm sure he'll understand :wink:

Just a quick example, friend of mine has now purchased 3 wetsuits online that do not fit and (not sure why exactly) cannot be returned. The LDS was more expensive for 1 suit, but they at least let you try it on before you buy it. If he would have gone there in the first place, he would have spent a whole lot less money, and would have got a suit that fit him in the first place.

That said, cost does matter, but not just the bottom line price, but what economists call the opportunity cost. What things really cost you, in terms of time, stress, money everything else. For example, I could go to California diving for the weekend or I could go to my wife's birthday party. The money cost of California would actually be cheaper for me since I wouldn't need to get presents and can live cheap, but the cost of skipping the birthday party makes that decision a whole lot more expensive than the actual dollar amount attached to it.

You may be able to save some money online, but just realize, you may also increase your long-term costs with warranty issues and other headaches. Just something you have to evaluate in buying online vs. local. Sometimes its worth the cost, other times its not.

Jupiter,

Sorry I'm editing your post here but I wanted to use the above phrase to emphasize an aspect of this LDS vs. online debate that we always seem to gloss over.

That is, some people don't feel comfortable trying to negotiate a better deal with ANYONE. Some people even pay sticker price for a car. They see a Leisurepro price and an LDS price and think that's the end of the story. I myself can be vicious with a car salesman that I don't know, but the guys at the LDS who I consider friends - well, it's hard.

Yes this is true. If some people don't want to haggle then they shouldn't be expected to, just to support the local shop.

I hear you - and in a perfect world, the first price should be the last price, and you should not have to deal w/ the noonsense, et al :shakehead: Sometimes I think if I wanted to haggle over everything I'd move to some place like Turkey, where its a way of life :confused:

But I do get it - I spent 33 years in sales, and unfortunitely, its not the way the world works :no:

I know I always appreciated a "last look" and most LDS' would feel the same - if its important to you to deal w/ your LDS - for some folks, its not - I'd pump up the courage, and give them a shot.

Cash in hand "I'm ready to buy NOW and I have this deal from xxxx - whats your best shot" can often work wonders. Or you want to do it the softer way - tell them "I found it for X dollars (w/out disclosing the supplier) - how close can you come to their price" and again, you may be surprised at the results.

And you don't need a personality like mine to say words to that effect :rofl3:

Whats the worst that can happen - you don't buy from them :confused::confused::confused:

I'll always give my LDS a 2nd chance, and if the difference IMO is not great, they get the business.

Butch up - if you don't ask, you don't get!

I buy from both.

My nearest "LDS" is actually over 100 miles away, but I buy stuff there that I need to fit or I need serviced, or that isn't sold online (Scubapro regs for example). I buy things like masks there as well.

I also buy stuff online. I just ordered a BP from one unline shop and am buying a wing tomorrow from another. I tried to do it with LDS's but frankly after weeks of waiting around for answers I just said "heck with it" and went online.

I prefer to buy locally and if I can get close on the price I will. Often, the price isn't close though... or even ball park.

Did you ask?

My LDS does that as a matter of course to compete. Free fills as well.

See my follow up post.

I see it like this....I'll give my business as long as it makes sense. While they may appreciate the business their still in it for the money. Does anyone actually think that if I fall on hard times but I'm just dying to blow bubbles, they'd send me out on a boat for free? Nope. So I'll continue the combination shopping....some LDS, some online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter31
nor do I agree w/ those who do not at least give the LDS an opportunity to match or come close to the on line price.

Jupiter,

Why be visious? Be nice. Tell them right up front, I'm looking online and this is the bottom line. I'd prefer to buy from you so what can you do to help me out. Sometimes you might be surprised what a straightforward approach will do.

Now, just to have some fun. Call LP and tell them, "My lds just matched your price. How much can you offer me to get my business? " Let me know.

See my follow up post.

I see it like this....I'll give my business as long as it makes sense. While they may appreciate the business their still in it for the money. Does anyone actually think that if I fall on hard times but I'm just dying to blow bubbles, they'd send me out on a boat for free? Nope. So I'll continue the combination shopping....some LDS, some online.

Actually wheels, I did see this happen a couple of times. Of course there was some washdowns and clean up involved but non-monetary dive trip was the result. It is rare but can happen.

I will chime in here with just one comment. It has been my experience that one LDS may not be able to do your regulator's annual inspection, you need to have the shop you bought it from service it. Other shops don't want to void the warranty by working on it because they may not be authorized. I am only a newbie, and this is what I have been told and found out. Don't slam me if you are the exception, I would love to be that 'exception' where I live. I bought a few things online and saved some bucks. But I did by a b/c and specifically said for "cold water diving" and they sent me a warm water b/c. Uffda. Anyhow, that's my two bits and I find all the posts to this topic have brought up good points.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom