Dive shops in Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hardly preference, simply error. Generally the first dive of the day is up around the upper limits for 32% so it makes sense to use air. Subsequent ones are usually well within the 32% range, though sometimes the second one might also be a bit deep. If 36% is also available (it isn't here any more) it would make sense to use that once you're certain not to go deeper than say 90ft.

If your first dive is shallower than that which would produce a pp of 1.4 at 32% (about 110ft) then it would make sense to use 32% on that as well. If you're looking to save money or for convenience it isn't usually necessary to use nitrox every time it would be safe to do so, though it will never do any harm and will keep your on-board nitrogen levels low.

A rough rule of thumb in imperial measures is that on 32% you reach pp of 1.4 at around 110ft and 1.6 at around 130ft, with the corresponding depths for 36% being 90ft and 110ft. Very easy to remember.

All of which is in the manual as is the cardinal rule that you, the diver, are ultimately responsible for your own safety, which is why you must have a way to verify the blend so you can plan accordingly.

As in, bring your own analyzer if your shop doesn't have one.

Hardly preference, simply error. Generally the first dive of the day is up around the upper limits for 32% so it makes sense to use air. Subsequent ones are usually well within the 32% range, though sometimes the second one might also be a bit deep. If 36% is also available (it isn't here any more) it would make sense to use that once you're certain not to go deeper than say 90ft.

If your first dive is shallower than that which would produce a pp of 1.4 at 32% (about 110ft) then it would make sense to use 32% on that as well. If you're looking to save money or for convenience it isn't usually necessary to use nitrox every time it would be safe to do so, though it will never do any harm and will keep your on-board nitrogen levels low.

A rough rule of thumb in imperial measures is that on 32% you reach pp of 1.4 at around 110ft and 1.6 at around 130ft, with the corresponding depths for 36% being 90ft and 110ft. Very easy to remember.

Thanks peterbj7 for the good information. As a diver new to Nitrox, all accurate info is very valuable. I appreciate it!

islanddream

I've often been thanked for basic information I give concerning nitrox. But this truly is fundamental stuff, and no-one should have been certified without understanding and knowing it. Have you not heard it before?

I've often been thanked for basic information I give concerning nitrox. But this truly is fundamental stuff, and no-one should have been certified without understanding and knowing it. Have you not heard it before?

The only piece of information that I hadn't thought about before was using air on the first dive of the day. but, ofcourse, you mention a first dive to 110. We usually do 45 minutes at 60-70 for our first dive of the day in AC and 50-70 for our second. On air, that seems to run into minor deco at the end of dive #2. I have run the calc on the tables with 32% and that gets rid of the obligation. I am not experienced enough with nitrox to get a feel for the importance of nitrox on the second dive versus the first. I am trying to figure out if your advice is based solely on staying above 1.4pp or if your advice is about not needing nitrox due to saturation during the first dive.

I have never been deeper than 97 in front of AC and that involved a tunnel. I am headed back down at the end of this week. Are the deeper dives (100ft+) off of AC different than the dives to 70? In otherwords, is there much more to see at 110 than there is at 60-70? I have looked down into the canyons and seen spotted eagle rays that were probably down that deep, but I have never been down in there. We usually dive across the fingers.

I am wondering if we should ask to dive deeper to vary the dives a bit?

I've dived in front of Ambergris Caye down to several hundred feet so my perception might be a bit different. Generally I'd say the interest peters out at around 110-120ft, depending on where you are. Most days I take the first dive down to below the spurs-and-grooves, so to around those depths, assuming of course the divers are up to it. I'd say yes, do dive deeper once in a while, as it is different down there.

Who will you be diving with? I shall also be diving for a few days from the end of this week.

We will probably dive mostly with Alonzo Flota from El Pescador. He is a friend of mine. I know he has guests that are scheduled to dive with him everyday next week. We will probably drop in on a few of those dives. I may dry to drop in on a few other local dives with other shops if his guests' schedule doesn't work with me or my wife. I think we may try to dive Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday (if anyone is going on Good Friday) and Saturday.

Yes I have; however, for me, if I don't use it I lose it. I need to go back and do some intensive review before diving in Belize.

On another note, since you are familiar with a number of dive shops on AC, do you know if they have analyzers available to test air and Nitrox? The more I read on other forums about having one's own analyzer, the more I think I should buy one for air and Nitrox. Comments?

Wow this thread has grown so much since I first posted. Thanks everyone for all the positive comments and recommendations. I finally decided to go with Ecologic. Hopefully it will turnout good. I can't wait. So excited, 5 days left. I just hope I can get my al100. I'll be playing around with my camera so I'll probly be using a bit more air.

I won't be bringing my computer. I'll just limit my local dives to 55min @ 70ft max more or less with 5-7min deco stop @ 15-20 ft. Surface interval of 60-70min if they don't rush us to get back into the water.

For blue hole dive I havnt plans that out. But quick calc: 130ft @ 8min 5-10min deco @ 15ft. SI of 60-70min. Secound dive limit my self to 50-60 ft.

I wonder if anyone has ever wondered if SI or pressure group is function of breathing rate, lung vol or surface area? Not just depth and time.

For example normall breathing rate is 16 breath/min. If you breath at a lower breath rate. The air in you lungs have longer residence time. Ie more nitrogen contact with the pulmonary alveolus, the more nitrogen retention in the blood. So one might suspect that if breathe rate is higher there is less affinity for nitrogen to be in hight concentration in the blood than at lower breathing rate.

Probably way off topic but just a thought was running through my head. Anyone can comment?

Do you mean you won't be bringing your laptop, or your dive computer? I hope not the latter! There are internet cafes around which will enable you to get your www fix if you need it.

The reality is that you won't be in charge of your diving profile, your dive guide will be. I'll be surprised if your first dives of the day, after the first, are as shallow as 70ft. The BH dive is generally to just above the shelf, so you will probably go to around 145ft. How long they'll be I can't say, but I've seen dives where the divers were at 130-145ft for 10-12 minutes (not including the time of descent), so way beyond recreational limits on both depth and time. My computer has gone up to 40+ mins of deco in those circumstances, but the customer divers haven't had computers. I usually find myself limited by available no-deco time on the subsequent dives, though again the divers haven't known that as they haven't had computers. On all three dives on that day I strongly suggest you DO carry your own computer and that you stay around the "safety stop" depth for 10-15 minutes, or longer if your computer tells you to. And avoid any alcohol from the evening before to the morning after - don't drink alcohol on the boat on the way back, even though most other people may.

Your breathing rate doesn't particularly affect your nitrogen absorption, though it has a considerable effect on how long your tank will last. I don't understand what your reference to "SI" means - I know what the letters mean, but not the reference. Don't forget that your breathing rate will be greatly affected by what you are doing underwater - easily rising by a factor of 7 or more when you're working hard or very stressed. Too many inadequately trained recovery divers have paid with their lives for forgetting that basic fact. Of course your nitrogen absorption is mostly affected by your depth.

I hope the dives are conducted in a way that enables you to get decent photographs. Have you done much U/W photography?

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

All of which is in the manual as is the cardinal rule that you, the diver, are ultimately responsible for your own safety, which is why you must have a way to verify the blend so you can plan accordingly.

As in, bring your own analyzer if your shop doesn't have one.

Can't agree more. I had several analysers for customers to use when I ran my tech dive shop and if I were now running a shop I would always have at least two. I don't understand how anyone can run a dive shop and NOT have an analyser, though I do know that very few shops here DO have them. Perhaps it's just another hidden way to reduce costs, like not having proper insurance or contributing to the local Chamber, or skimping on maintenance of boats, compressors and tanks. Customers rarely ask up-front, and by the time they learn the hard way it's too late. Analysers are quite expensive toys and once unsealed are time limited, so they make more sense for a shop than for the individual diver. Though when I dived recreationally around Britain years ago, long before I ever got into the business of diving, I always had my own. Once I started diving trimix I also had a helium analyser - now that IS expensive. My last one was lifted by a staff member in my dive shop, and I've never bought one since.

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

Yes I have; however, for me, if I don't use it I lose it. I need to go back and do some intensive review before diving in Belize.

On another note, since you are familiar with a number of dive shops on AC, do you know if they have analyzers available to test air and Nitrox? The more I read on other forums about having one's own analyzer, the more I think I should buy one for air and Nitrox. Comments?

If you learned to use the sorts of formulae that PADI have in their text book, I'm not surprised you don't retain it. That's learning by rote, not comprehension, and it never works. Understand the principles which are very simple, and then work everything out from those principles. Once you've done that a few times you'll never forget it, and far more to the point you'll UNDERSTAND it.

I covered the point about available analysers above. If you dive at all frequently (or even if you don't!) - if you dive nitrox, get your own analyser. It's also a good idea even for air diving - in fact expecially for air diving - to get a carbon monoxide (CO) sensor. A compressor system designed to produce nitrox should have appropriate filters with checks in place to prevent significant levels of carbon monoxide, but be very suspicious of a cheap (small) compressor being used to pump air, especially if the operators don't seem to know much about the subject. It is PROBABLE that unsafe levels of carbon monoxide are being put into the tanks. There's nothing you can do about it - if there's more than a very small %age of carbon monoxide in the tank don't use it, and don't use any other tanks filled from the same compressor. Remember - there's only one letter's difference between DIVE and DIE. I once checked over a compressor installation that too often (but not always) produced bad air. I discovered that they were using a diesel motor to drive the compressor, and the exhaust was too close to and often upwind from the air inlet. Very often the problem is unintelligent installation rather than some intrinsic fault with the equipment. With an compressor driven by an electric motor that doesn't arise, but if the compressor is situated on a dock there's a very real risk of sucking in exhaust from boat engines - or sometimes just people smoking too close to and upwind from the air inlet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom