dive shops / Kata area -- any recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serious_fun

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like some recommendations for a dive shop in the Kata area...just for two or three day trips in early August.

thanks. :cool2:

Hi,

I did rescue and dm courses with Phuket Scuba Club earlier this year. Excellent service, instructors and good fun too. Their main shop is in Kata.

Have fun!

I also recommend Phuket Scuba club from past Phuket diving trips.....great people to work with.....they can help you set up any kind of diving you want to do.

Assuming you are already certified (and are not doing any courses) the best day trip boat is Sea-Bees. It's a bit more $$ than the others, but for comfort, quality and freshly-made food (Thai and European + German Weissbier for after the diving!) there's nothing that comes close for short day trips. They also have 3-dive trips that include a night dive. German organization, immaculate boat with clean showers and heads, and great food!

I guess you're planning on staying in Kata? It doesn't really matter whether the dive shop is located there or in some other place on Phuket. The reason I say this is that there are only a limited number of day boats and many times that number of dive shops. Nearly all dive shops and agents use pretty much the same boats, so you can get whatever you need from any of us. To take the example of the two shops mentioned already in this thread, PSC (while a very fine operator) doesn't have its own dayboat, so if you book through them or through me or through any number of other shops/agents, they can book you onto a variety of boats, including the SeaBees boat, depending on your personal needs. If you book through SeaBees, who do have their own boat, they will basically offer you just their own itineraries, so the choice is more limited. In other words, any of us anywhere on the island can help you sort out your dives, even if we're located somewhere other than Kata.

I agree with Quero's advice. It doesn't matter as much as you think as to whom you book with because you get a similar experience from all. I did a few day trips with Thailand Divers in Feb. They were fine, although I think I'll try somebody else next time around. All the operators will run a bus doing the hotel pickups in the morning and then drop you off again in the evening. Staying in Kata was kind of nice as I was usually the last one picked up and the first one dropped off every day. Once out at Chalong Pier the boats are run sort of 'semi communally' where most of the people on the boat will be associated with the operator who is actually running the boat. There will also be other people/students/divemasters from other companies who will tag along. Quero is correct- the dive shop's physical location is mostly irrelevant.

Although Quero is right saying it's better inquiring through a dive agent (like PSC, Stevenl or Quero) than a dive operation, I wouldn't say the dive shop location doesn't matter. Personally, I like to know whose taking care of my dive schedule : a lot of communication maybe going through visual interference and there's nothing like discussing face to face to someone to explain what you're expecting and what you're not.

Personally I was very satisfied with Stevenl's services while I was on Kata and i also enjoyed discussing with him at least once everytime I was there. I think these briefings were helpful to determine what he could offer me.

Luko, I think that's true if you are fortunate to work with a shop where the owner will spend time with you. This is the case with all of the three of us you mention, but it's far from universal. Usually you see a sign along the road and stop in to find a clerk and not the owner. Those of us who take special care to discuss things with customers in the way you describe are scattered around in different areas, and it wouldn't make a lot of difference in terms of the quality of service you would receive if you were staying in Patong, for example, and used one of the three of us, none of whom are located in Patong. You'd still get good service and friendly attention, whether in face-to-face encounters or through emails.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom