Dive shops - Looe Key reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trigger-F

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I'll be going to the Keys the weekend of June 3rd. I am not very familiar with lower Keys dive shops except Looe Key reef resort/dive center and Strike Zone charters. Looking for dive shops that have smaller boats, i.e. 6 packs?

Looe Key dive center has a 6 pack boat but I'll be diving by myself(I was told they'd need at least 5-6 people on the boat to go out; if only one diver, they put them on the catamaran). Any info will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

I've been on that catamaran and it's well run and incredibly open. They are probably the most overlooked dive op and destination in the Keys. Two OK's way up! You won't be disappointed and the diving there is pristine!

I dove with Looe Key reef Dive Center before but the catamaran was packed and had little space for my camera setup. It was hard to move around with all those people so wanted to see if any dive shop with smaller boats exist down there. Innespace and Underseas Dive center are out of business, so not aware of any other dive shops.

One of the things I've found diving lower/middle Keys is that many of the sites are also snorkel friendly. You may see lots of folks on the big Corinthians, but they're not usually full of divers. Many times my wife & I have been the only divers on the boat. The crews do a good job keeping them separated pre-dive for setup and dive briefing (snorkelers to the bow/divers to the stern). I guess if you're a "hardcore" diver that might seem annoying, but once in the water I never know the snorkelers (or as I like to call them "chum" :)) are there. Every once in awhile the crew has to shoo them off the ladder when I want to re-board. Many are very interested in what the divers are doing and you get to be a "rock star." Plus with the extra folks & big boat comes things like gas grills and real snacks/lunch between dives not to mention real "mixed on the fly margs" on the way back to the dock. I guess it's all in what you want/you're used to. I like to take the GOOD with the bad. If you really want the smaller boat with some of these dive ops, go on one of the wreck dives they offer. Too deep for snorkelers so they'll either take the six-pack or the Corinthians with just divers. Have fun. :cheers::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Sorry, you posted while I was typing. Disregard the first bit, but going on the wreck dives might have merit. Usually it's a wreck & a reef, so you still get to see the pretty reefs. I could certainly see where handling a large cam rig could be a struggle on some of the outings. Weekends are tough as well. Marathon has additional dive ops that run smaller boats that might work for you.

I've not dived with them, but I've seen their posts on SB. Not sure if they are still around. www.dieuleveutdiving.com
Six-pack diving Looe Key and the Adolphus Busch

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom