Dive shops or clubs near Yokosuka?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy8876

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In ten months I'll be getting to move to Yokosuka. I've read that there is a dive club out of Yokosuka, but haven't found the details on that club. Does anyone know of that club or how to contact them?

Is there any shore diving within reasonable distance (~45 min drive) of Yokosuka? How about the cost and availability of getting tanks filled and hydro'd? I have all my own gear, except tanks- but I'm about to buy a pair of tanks IF they will be worth having in Japan.

Is there a shop that teaches tech courses that anyone can reccommend? Or even an individual that likes to teach, but isn't with a shop. I'm in the Navy so my schedule can be less than ideal, so sometimes meeting course dates can be a challenge. I'm also curious about the cost of tech dives and frequency of them- but I can contact the shop if nobody knows. I just received all of my TDI course books for tech, I hope to take most of the classes here, but I'd like to hold off and take some in Japan also.

Most of my diving was in Hawaii, but I've also got some cold water experience as I learned to dive in Puget Sound. Is it accurate to say the water temps vary from about 54-80 degrees depending on area and time of year?

Thanks for any help you can offer. I know 10 months is a bit early, but I want to plan some of my upcoming gear (particularly tanks and drysuit) purchases accordingly and get a feel for what lies ahead.

Hey Randy

Welcome in advance to Japan! When you arrive, you will be close to the Izu Penisular where there is shore diving all year round. Looking at the map, I would say you could get to the east coast of Izu within a hour and anywhere on Izu within two.

I'm not good at Farenheit but I think those numbers about right - a wetsuit in summer and a drysuit in winter.

If you will be on a military base, then I believe you can get tank fills on base and drive around for some shore diving. Others might be able to fill you in better on that.

Geoff,
I've heard about Izu, should be some decent diving for weekend trips. I'm hoping with all that coastline near Yokosoka there will be a few spots to hop in the water.

I'll try to find out about filling tanks on base and post if I find out that rumor is true. Discount fills (or free) would be sweet. What's a dive shop charge for a tank of air or EAN32 or EAN36? Hawaii it was dirt cheap to fill tanks, and some dive clubs had free fills. It as so easy and affordable to go diving 3 days a week.

Hi guys
I'm currently in Yokosuka, at the US navy base, until Dec, and looking for some diving.

i hear Izu Penisular is the place to go ?

Hi guys
I'm currently in Yokosuka, at the US navy base, until Dec, and looking for some diving.

i hear Izu Penisular is the place to go ?

You heard right. Izu is great and not too far. East coast is easy to get to by train, west coast you would need a car. Autumn is a great time as well, water is still warm with good viz and less crowds (than summer)
As said someone mentioned earlier, if you can dive with people from the base it would likely be cheaper than diving with local japanese ops....

Hi,
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the responses (including the pm's from Geoff, Nori1841 and mushroom king). It's nice to see such an active diving community, I'm sure getting to dive with some of you should be a great time.

A bit of info about Yokosuka Bubble Club: they are still around. You can't fill your own tanks, but if you are a member (DOD, military and dependents mostly) they have tanks you can borrow. It sounds like a good deal, I think $100 a year for free use of tanks and club dives.

I'm still curious about shore dives very near base. Some of the house rentals I was looking at are 5-6km away from Yokosuka and in the description it said "close to beach". Not sure what beach, but there must be shore entry places if there are beaches.

$100 a year for unlimited fills? How do I sign up for this Marine Corps thing?!

Hey all -

About 20 minutes away from Yokosuka is Hayama. There are a couple of Japanese dive shops that dive at a couple spots off the sea wall there. Check it out.

Hi all, I am new to the forum and saw this posting and found it interesting since we are going to Yokosuka, Japan in August. We are currently in Germany but have been transferred to Yokosuka. We picked up the diving itch while on vacation in Gran Canaria and we just finished up our Advanced Open Water Diver Certification this past break that we had in Malta.

Does anyone happen to know if the Bubble Club has a website? I have been looking online but I am not having any luck. I look forward to chatting with you all on here as there is SO much to learn and we are extremely addicted to want to know it all. Thanks in advance.

Brandon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom