Dive site advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all Cal. divers,

I am wondering if this is the right place to ask to either SoCal or NoCal. Anyway, I did both.

I would like to have your advice. I am planning to participate in the scientific dive projects that will be held at either Emerald Bay Historic Mini Fleet in Lake Tahoe, or Crystal Cove (archaeology site). Even though each site has its own characteristics for the project, I would like to have some general information about these locations. Without considering project, which place do you recommend?

Thanks for your comments in advance.

Emerald Bay will have clear, fresh water at high altitude, though not much life. If you dive Tahoe during the Winter, expect water temps in the mid 40s. Crystal Cove has limited visibility, usually 5-40 feet, but being salt water will be full of marine life. If diving from shore, you won't have to contend with waves at Lake Tahoe, except during a storm.

Yes, I am talking about Crystal Cove in Orange County.

What is the water temperature on June?

What thickness wetsuit do you recommend?

What kinds of organism are there?

Have ever been to Corsair airplane wreck? If then, how was it? Is there a rich ecological environment out there?

I have never dived in CA. So, how difficult is it to contend with waves and current?

Do you know any of dive shops to recommend at or nearby Crystal Cove State Park?

Any information will be great.

Thanks in advance,

P.S. Thank you, MaxBottomTime.

I usually wear a full 3/2 for summer because I really don't like to be cold. A spring suit works for shore diving also. For any deep diving (Catalina or off a boat) I use a 7mm. I think the water temp at deeper depths is pretty standard year round (Correct me if I'm wrong :wink: )

Crystal Cove AKA Reef Point in Newport/Laguna Beach is a great dive site. Located at the base of a tall cliff with a good path/stairs down. It is a long walk down but worth it.

I dove there last December or so. The dive site is extremely rich in reef structure. There is a reef coming out from shore that is the main attraction, but I never got over there. There were so many vertical wall reefs running parallel to shore separated by sand bottom that we just never quite got there. Had a great time and can’t wait to go back.

The entry is tricky due to the rocks and real mean if there is much surf. The water is very shallow. 25 yards off shore you may well be in mid calf to waist deep water. One minute you are in mid calf, the next waist deep and back again.. Lots of rocks in the surf line and all the way out. So entry and exit can be tough if there is much surf, and you have to love crawling over rocks in the water.
Crystal Cove, Newport Beach/Laguna Beach CA courtesy of California Coastline Project

7mm year round is the norm here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom