Dive Sites you won't believe. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mudhole

Contributor
Reaction score
Another post was asking about diving in some of Oklahoma's lakes that I've never seen clear. Let me list some lakes you might not know about. Lake Texoma, if you have a boat has some visibility, and is good for spearfishing for rough fish. On the Oklahoma side you can hunt catfish, but don't cross the state border, even with your boat, catfish are illegal in texas. Several boat ramps near the dam can take you to some of the sandy areas.

Lake Eufala, if you cross the lake at I-40 it looks like you could walk on water. . . Near Porum and the dam are some sandy areas with good visibility. There are some rocky bluffs south of the dam that have produced some catfish for us. Also, with a depth finder locate and follow the river chanel west till you find the river bank in about 30 feet. . . it's a long way from shore. We dove several trees that had washed in and stuck on that break, We saw flathead catfish from 20 feet away and just swam up and took them, easiest hunting I've done.

Grand Lake, up in the northeast part of Oklahoma. You'll need a boat, but early summer there is some visibility up and down the bluff areas and the few gravel and sandy shorelines. All of the shoreline is private, so if you step out of the water, someone will call the sheriff.

For you west Texas divers, there is Lake Elmer Thomas, in the Wichita Wildlife refuge, north of Lawton. Elmer Thomas is 1/2 in the military post and 1/2 in the refuge, diving is good even from shore, A lot of dive shops go there for checkout dives, so sometimes it gets crowded.

Lake Murray, is a nice little lake in south central Oklahoma. There is some shore diving near the dam, and in a park near a tower. It is a shallow sand bottomed lake and really becomes interesting only if you can move around with a boat.

There are many more dive lakes in Oklahoma, but that's how I got my name mudhole. This forum is much better than going out in this cold snowy weather.

The visibility will vary quite a bit because of rain or high winds. . . but there are good times. My friends and I like hunting catfish, so we hunt the Oklahoma side. There were several spots near the dam where old creek chanels had some steep sides, sorry I don't remember the names of the sites, I'll try to dig out my maps and try to send you the names. The islands were okay diving but none of us saw any good catfish areas. We do tend to think of dinner. I've met divers that have driven past Texoma to get to Tenkiller when it was flooded.

This sort of stuff sounds right up my alley. :D
I think if you look around long enough at most larger lakes and hit them at just the right time you can pull off a decent dive.

When you think of what it costs to get to places where you can have great Vis. and the time it takes to get there then sometimes Vis. really should take a back seat to life. I did a real Mud Hole on Sunday ( Lake Pat Mayse , Texas) it is just 17 miles away from me and free. I did a nice dark solo dive and came home.
Some day I'll find a clear spot with 4 feet of Vis. there I just know it and that will be back door dive Heaven !

Timeliner, you think like I do. If it's wet it's worth trying. I've driven across the state because some fisherman says a lake is clear. Most divers shouldn't waste the gas to try an unknown lake. This forum lets us crazy mud divers teach the others. It's muddy, if you can't see the sun from 3 feet underwater. I've been there and done that. A tip for lake Eufala diving. . . find the trees near the river channel, then lay on your back in the tree tops and watch for the shadows moving above you. Oh yes, be able to tell carp from gamefish by their silhouette.

Diving from shore is difficult on many lakes. The best vis is over hard bottom. . . if you can't move around freely, you may be stuck with a mud bottom where the roads are. But it may be worth your time to look for a park near the dam of any lake. If anyone questions a lake in Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma and southern Missouri. . . I may have been there and can answer your questions. . . if not ask about a lake and maybe someone else here can answer your question.

Back
Top Bottom