Dive skin or shorty for PNG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

togatown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In preparation for an April trip to PNG, I am trying to decide on bringing my 3 mm shorty, or get a 2 mm dive skin. The water temp appears to be around 30 C, or 85 year round. We are going to dive 6 times in two days, and then go on an adventure excursion and just snorkel several days during that. I want to pack as little as I can, and leave the wetsuit at home if possible. I do hate to be cold but this is going to be very warm water.

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

I would consider an inexpensive Lycra full body suit and hood and wear the shorty over that. Full sun and wrong protection and the skin will keep you cooler on boat if you keep it wet.

I would consider an inexpensive Lycra full body suit and hood and wear the shorty over that. Full sun and wrong protection and the skin will keep you cooler on boat if you keep it wet.

So I guess maybe bringing both is a good idea. Or I could just use a wetsuit from the dive outfitter over my own dive skin. That way, I can avoid packing the wetsuit. Thanks for the reply.

At 85 I would wear nothing (well not nothing...). You must figure out your own cold tolerance. I've read that at water of 91F anyone can stay in indefinitely as the body is able to compensate for any heat loss. At 85 and 3 dives a day I wouldn't worry.

Last edited:
At 85 I would wear nothing (well not nothing...). You must figure out your own cold tolerance. I've read that at water of 91F anyone can stay in indefinitely as the body is able to compensate for any heat loss. At 85 and 3 dives a day I wouldn't worry.

Thanks for the reply. That probably reinforces my idea to bring a full dive skin, and just rent a wetsuit if needed.

Never mind the cold tolerance, what about box jellyfish, etc.? For me, it's a full suit or skin no matter what the temperature.

Yes, I used the full length body suit, reef gloves. Complete protection as well in case you inadvertently bump into something (which has never happened to me since my buoyancy control is perfect...).

It really depends on your cold tolerance. I could dive in 85 deg F all day completely nekkid, but I have good cold tolerance. Hell, I feel I could do high 70s sans wetsuit w/ no problem. I do agree on the rashguard/skin though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom