Dive Slate improvements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, magic eraser sponges.
They work fine on blank slates/paper, but if there is printing on the slate (like an instructor slate or a REEF fish ID form) the magic eraser will tend to wear away that printing. Soft-scrub is messier, but less aggressive.
Do they work well on wetnotes ?
It’s so messy to clean my wetnotes that I just tear pages ...

I stuck the used points in my gloves to discard later.

If you stick the used ones in your glove, how do you get the next one to stay out? If it’s got 10 stacked points, it needs 10 stacked points on the pencil, regardless if the lead is there or not. Found this out the hard way when I popped a point out to replace and fumbled it....

Try Pilot Lead Holder Croquis, 6B (HA-CR4-6B)

View attachment 585836

All plastic so no rusting or problems sharpening

Also check out

Underwater Notepad | Dive Gear Express®

Better than a slate the pages tear out for easy saving notes etc.

The underwater notebook also works as a refill for the diverite wetnotes cover.

+1 on both of those

What kind of tether have you folks come up with using the Croquis?

Do they work well on wetnotes ?
It’s so messy to clean my wetnotes that I just tear pages ...
Yes

I've transferred all my teaching slates onto waterproof inkjet printeable paper, which I cut out and insert into the clear window of my wetnotes. The advantage is; they are printed rather than written and in larger font so I can read them. I've also done this for blank deco schedules, which I then fill in with a Sharpie prior to the dive.

I only use the existing stock wetnote paper for pencil writing underwater.

Also, one little tip; get a solid graphite pencil from a stationers, then snap it in half and sharpen both pieces, two for the price of one. These are much better than the standard 'golfers' wooden pencil which tend to soften and break the lead underwater.
IMG_20200513_145539.jpg
IMG_20200513_145527.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200513_145527.jpg
    IMG_20200513_145527.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 42
LOVE THIS BOARD!

Great tips, everyone! I think we have some of the stackable pencils laying around so I may give that a try first but definitely like the Pilot Croquis option. I've heard several talk about the eraser sponges, too. I have to pick one of those up. I'll try to let you know what works for me.

Thanks everyone!

You can pop the end off the Croquis and feed a piece of thin bungee through the hole there if you make the stopper knot very small.

You can pop the end off the Croquis and feed a piece of thin bungee through the hole there if you make the stopper knot very small.

This. I tend to use a short piece of bungee (6-8”) and tie a loop in the end, and just clip it into a double wonder or bolt snap of the wetnotes, slate, or even my dive computer when I’m not using it. I use full-size slates for recording sites, and don’t like how long the bungee has to be to get to the opposite corner without it pulling. Have to remember that it’s not attached though, so you can’t just let go of the pencil when you’re done writing.

I have two pencils in my wet notes cover and dont worry about teathering the pencil. The wetnotes cover has elastic pencil loops there is room for a third one but two is enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom