Dive Slates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVMike,

make/use a slate that's slightly bigger than the paper as a clipboard. Use keyrings to hold everything together.

Ed

WVMike once bubbled...
Thanks for the info. I had a pad of rainwriter that I used for camping and started using while diving ( on the shore) to get dive info from computer. Did not think of trying it UW.

Last night I took a sheet UW and wrote on it with a pencil and it worked great. But I was using my slate to back it up and the whole process was awkard. So how do you attach the paper to the mirror?

I just rip a 2 or 3 sheets of DuraRite paper from a notebook, wrap the sheets around the mirror and simply use a rubber band to secure it. Sometimes I get real high tech and use a couple tiny strips of bicycle innertube -- aka DIR rubberband. I rarely have a need to write more than a few lines, but having a couple extra pages in reserve doesn't take up any more room.

It's also all kind of held together by the lanyard that goes through a small hole in the mirror to clip off the pad to a bungee in my pocket, and also another small lanyard for the pencil.

The DuraRite notebooks from Rite-In-the-Rain are totally waterproof plastic sheets and extended submersion doesn't affect it at all. The rite-in-the-rain paper is waterproofed paper, but get a more limp after being wet for a long time.

My Buddy (Girlfriend) and I use the mini-magna doodles. I think we paid $6 at Wal-Mart. This thing works created for quick communication. I wouldnt use it to record dive info, but wet notes is good for that. :)

I tried the MagnaDoodle, but didn't like it's bulk. So I ripped one apart and extracted the writing surface/screen. The screen is flexible enough that it tucked into my BC pocket nicely, along with the magnetic pencil tied to it on a lanyard.

Unfortunately, the naked screen wasn't very rugged. After 4 or 5 dives it developed a leak and started to ooze a milky white substance --- apparently the carrier fluid in which the iron particles are suspended.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to cut down on the bulk of a MagnaDoodle while still being reliable?

Made from 4" pvc piping.

Mike D

made from 4" pvc piping

Mike D

I've run a couple of Magna-Doodles now - the $5 cheapies don't seem to like the water to well.

I've been looking at these recently on ebay. They look like copies of a DiveRite model I've seen before, and the pricing seems good.

I'd much rather buy something as I'm not the handiest guy around. I have visions of sending the house up in flames trying to soften PVC pipe in the oven. :D

Marc

hi,
i made my slate from the plastic top used by electricians and air-conditioning people. They are using these plastics for putting the cables in side and then connecting them to the floor or wall. I used the wide top from them and then put it under hot water and made them round to fit my wrist. Cut the wholes for the BT, and another 'page' like on dive-rite slate, added a pen and a strap from velcro.

hope you get the idea.

sasha

dvas once bubbled...
see attached picture

you just had to photograph the slate with the plan for the a trimix dive :wink:

This slate is really lelgant - the photograph dose it little justice. it's solid, the "pages" flip well, and is vey well built.

And it sent me to a wild goose chase - the plastic looks as if it was cut from a pipe, but pipes of white plastic are no-where to be found around Jerusalem. I actualy did find a small section, mind you, but it took me so long I'm now afrade to damage it when I rut it into shape. :mean: [\i]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom