Dive stories to share

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karen Es

Registered
Reaction score
:bubble_fi Hi Guys,
On my way to the office, I was thinking of those diving stories you would remember all your life. Mine was in Brazil in the way to our first night dive (actually, it was the afternoon, but turned into night soon). It was dark, the stars were shining in the sky, we were all singing, and then... the ship stops in the middle of nowhere as something happened to one of the propellers!!!!
I remember we all were singing a song to Neptune, really funny, as the DM thought "some newbies on board, the water looks like a black hole, and now we're trapped here!", so he sent down to his two best divers (the more experienced ones that completed Rescue) with flash lights and some tools. Some minutes later the boys were back saying they couldn't fix the propeller.
That same night Mars was shining bright in the sky, and then we discovered that it was the time that the planet seemed to be closer to Earth...
Finally, we decided to postpone our dive and return the following day (one of the propellers was still working). Our trip back took longer and we were all silent...
The day after we had our reward, the water was clear and the spot had great turtles resting on rocks and then I saw the first lobster. It was fantastic, and the story will be remembered for all the group for ages, I suppose.:05:
Karen

Cool story...thanks for sharing it.

I do alot of public safety diving, and while diving to recover the body of a person whom burned up in a house boat fire I ripped my BC on some metal of the house boat. I was really upset as my BC was just a few months old. It pretty much ripped the bladder and when I tried to repair it, the repaired area would fail at pressure.

3 days later we are sent to recover the body of a drowned swimmer in local lake. We go to where the person was last seen which was at some no-wake buoys. As I was descending I spotted something really shiny and began to move to it. As I approached it I realized what it was, a stainless steel prop. I recovered the prop, brought it up, put it on the dive boat then went back to work.

The next day I cleaned the prop up, researched the serial number and found out that it was a fairly expensive 26 pitch 4 bladed prop used on high performance bass boat. The inside of the prop was damaged but it was a sleeve system so I went off to a local dealer to get replacement parts for it. I bought the part, which was about 30 bucks if I remember right, and asked the guy what it was worth. He said they sold new for about 600 to 700 bucks and asked where I got it. I told him I had recovered it in a local lake and he suspected that someone took the prop off to clean line or check a seal, and didn't torque the prop down tight enough and it spun off (he suspected a spin off by looking at the damaged sleeve).

I took some pics of the prop, put it up on ebay, with a reserve of 200 bucks. To my suprise the prop sold for right at 600 dollars! I shipped the prop to the new owner, waited till he was happy with it, then went and bought a new BC. So, my new name at that point was even Steven!

Steven,
Definetely your story was cool-cool!!! And I just can't believe how things turned out to be... props seem to be a special feature in our stories!
Thanks for sharing!
Cheers,
Karen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom