Dive Suggestions Jupiter-WPB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDownD3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking for some advice. I have to work in Melbourne next week. Going down a few days early to visit my buddy who lives in Port St Lucie and was hoping to get some diving in. Trying to stay somewhere close to the area. So I was thinking Jupiter to West Palm Beach. Next Monday (10-12) looks to be the best day that will work for us. I am only OW certified with all of my dives being wreck dives off the NC coast. Anybody have recommendations for charters in the area? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I dove with Jupiter Dive Center back in August 2014; here's my trip report, if you want to see what that was like. I really enjoyed it!

Call whatever dive shop you decide on & ask them about you being only OW cert.d though. If you've done wreck dives out of NC, I imagine you may be okay to dive Jupiter, but be aware the typical dive briefing included a statement along the lines of '90 feet to the sand,' so it's deep diving, fair viz. (but not up there with Caribbean; probably similar to what you had in NC, I'm guessing; I've had one trip to Jupiter, one to Morehead City), and it's drift diving with 'hot drops' (not anchoring or using mooring balls).

Richard.

I dive with JDC regularly as well, you can almost always get a spot with them because there are two boats, 2 trips per day. There won't be an issue with only being OW as long as you are comfortable with the depth, I learned to dive with them, and we do the drift dive as the OW check. As mentioned the dives are between 65-90ish feet depending on the site, most of your time will be in the 70 foot range on the reef edge. The other thing I'd mention is that it's worth getting your NITROX cert before coming, at that depth your time on air will be about 24 mins vs about 45 mins on NITROX. Plenty of people dive air there, though, you just have to spend more time topside...There are plenty of other reputable ops here in Jupiter. The Kyalami (Jupiter, FL Scuba Diving Charter) seems to have a great reputation but they seem to book out fast.

The other thing I'd mention is that it's worth getting your NITROX cert before coming, at that depth your time on air will be about 24 mins vs about 45 mins on NITROX.

Glad you said that! I didn't even think about it, but Nitrox was a big plus on our trip. JDC's main default mix seemed to me to be 36% when I was there, which is just right given the max. bottom depth and providing plenty of bottom time. Well worthwhile get get nitrox cert.d.

I also liked how JDC rented me big tanks. If you find you tend to go through a tank faster than other divers, you can compensate for that with them.

Richard.

Reactions: Jax
I also liked how JDC rented me big tanks. If you find you tend to go through a tank faster than other divers, you can compensate for that with them. Richard.
Ha! Ya I'm still pretty new and love me some air. I get the 120's and the deckhands tease my about them. But I can get my full bottom time so it's worth a couple extra bucks and crushed vertebra :D

... Next Monday (10-12) looks to be the best day that will work for us.....
1st off,,,your weather forecast looks really good for Monday with seas only 1-2's. 2nd,,,if you dive Jupiter and are starving after your dives like most of us, stop at Rancho Chico. Huge and hot plates of great food and you'll take half of it home in a "to go" box for a late snack. Cheap too. https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...2!3m1!1s0x88df28327bd53d1b:0x95b658e8d552a6b4

Like everyone else who posted here, I'm a big fan of JDC. Some of the reefs JDC visits you can stay in the 60-65 ft range if you stay on top and don't go down to the sand. Another favorite charter of mine is Narcosis which leaves out of Riviera Beach.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom