Dive Team Accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am so ashamed I can't keep myself from commenting on some of this recent stuff but I am retired and it is raining here in LA and I am bored.
Since I inadvertently and innocently ruffled some integrated/Zeagle supporters I just gotta wonder why they would have designed a system that dumps all your dumpable weight at once vs the majority of integrated systems that allow you to dump one side at a time? I have visions of imitating that nuke sub off Hawaii a few years back that sank a long range wooded fishing boat as it breached the surface like a launched polaris ICBM. By the way, I am left handed so I gotta learn how to use my camera holding hand to release weight. And this is supposed to be as safe or safer than a weight belt that can be dropped upside down at night in a down current if necessary? Gotta get a life huh?
Well, a weight belt is gonna dump all your weight with one motion unless you put some weight in an intergrated bc. But then wouldn't be cool to dump your belt while still having weight in your Zeagle which could then be dumped with one motion at the surface if needed.
Besides, th zeagle weight pockets can be emptied 1x1 or weight by weight if so desired.

I just have to wonder if the guy would have made it if he was wearing a weight belt instead of integrated.

This comment is the reason for most of my replies. Being a Zeagle BCD has nothing to do with it.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

Since I inadvertently and innocently ruffled some integrated/Zeagle supporters I just gotta wonder why they would have designed a system that dumps all your dumpable weight at once vs the majority of integrated systems that allow you to dump one side at a time? QUOTE]

Most Zeagles also have tank strap weight pockets that have seperate releases. Unless you add weight to your non-intergrated BCD I believe that when you release your weight belt, you release ALL your weight also.

The biggest thing is not the weight release system inquestion. Heck did he even try to ditch his weights. Since this person can’t speak the department might said this to cover their own mistake up. 12 BC’s not working sounds like it was strung wrong or overweighed as others said(again possible department cover up). Since their gear is not serviced as should be. I also actually wonder if they even practiced weight ditching skills.

The biggest question IS
Why did he dive with broken gear? Why did his buddy and commander let him dive? This is the real question. In all my training from open water thru Tri-mix. If anything was wrong with the gear the dive is over. No questions asked from instructors to dive buddies. I’ve called a dive from just a tiny pin hole in my wing. Could I have dove it? Yes. Was it safe? No. No way am I going to risk my life or the others diving with me due to diving with broken gear. This has been trained to me from my first days in diving. I’m quite sure most everybody here has been train to not dive with broken gear.
The inflator and wing is one of the most important parts of your gear. If you’re going to dive over weighted to search and rescue you better be darn sure your wing it up to the task. As Ahava stated. The commander and people in charge should be released. I really think they are back tracking their mistakes and blaming it on the BC.

Diving with a broken inflator is asking for an accident to happen.

If I was a police officer I sure wouldn't want to be crusing the streets working with a broken gun. The same should be for dive gear. Don't dive it if it's broke.

I am so ashamed I can't keep myself from commenting on some of this recent stuff but I am retired and it is raining here in LA and I am bored.
Since I inadvertently and innocently ruffled some integrated/Zeagle supporters I just gotta wonder why they would have designed a system that dumps all your dumpable weight at once vs the majority of integrated systems that allow you to dump one side at a time? I have visions of imitating that nuke sub off Hawaii a few years back that sank a long range wooded fishing boat as it breached the surface like a launched polaris ICBM. By the way, I am left handed so I gotta learn how to use my camera holding hand to release weight. And this is supposed to be as safe or safer than a weight belt that can be dropped upside down at night in a down current if necessary? Gotta get a life huh?

Actually, you can partially dump if you want. You can unzip the pocket even with 5mm gloves, grab with yellow pouch and dump one side if you really wanted to. Since weights are intended to be dumped at the surface, the need for partial dumps is rather limited.

By making the default release a single pull, they made it closer to how a weight belt works (all or nothing).

In either case I think you are over reaching to find an issue with the system design, especially when its all based on 2nd and 3rd hand news reports and you have no experience with the system in question. No matter what they did, I think you would find fault with it, simply because its not a weight belt which is what you have chosen to use.

I added comments because I had their system for several years. I also still use a weight belt or harness depending on weight requirements. Sometimes, even an integrated system on a poodle jacket. I am NOT a huge Zeagle fan, I sold my Ranger, not because of the weight system but because I don't like big integrated BCD's. So I am not some starry eyed fan, just a realist.

Well then maybe I am wrong the zeagle I had had red handles on each side attached to weed wacker line to ditch lead on each side...

That would have been something other than a Zeagle. I have seen a knock off with 2 red handles.

Zeagle has never built a model with red plastic line going to more than one handle.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

You haven't seen divers come back on a charter boat with shifted belts and obstructed buckles? Really?

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Emergency OOA swimming ascents are not taught partially dumping weight.
Your weight gets dropped to avoid the risk for blacking out and drowning before reaching the surface.
Over expansion injury risk is present anytime a diver cannot breath normally and DCS risks are going to be exactly the same no matter your ascent speed if you are not breathing from a regulator.
So I somewhat fail to see your point.

Having now rattled several cages I need to state that although I prefer a weight belt I keep a couple of trim weights (size depending upon the amount of rubber I am wearing) in weight designed pouches on my non integrated BCD mainly for pic taking trim but also in case of an emergency in which I need to drop my belt I will be able to make a slower controlled ascent. At the start of a dive at about 50 ft I typically snug down my weight belt to compensate for the squish from the depth. If my belt inadvertently does lossen up, I will know it instantly as the pressure against my big gut will be less. More than once I have had to hand an integrated pouch back to a fellow diver as they started floating up with a funny look in their eyes. Unfortunately bench racing won't bring this guy back. It appears the main root cause was lack of training/familiarity and faulty equipment along with some secondaries also. Cover up? Possible.
Doesn't anyone want to talk about snorkles, computer algorithms, integrated octopus or (gasp) solo diving? Well, it is snowing at Mammoth and then I am going to the Philippines for 2 wks. Dive safe......

Well, it is snowing at Mammoth and then I am going to the Philippines for 2 wks. Dive safe......

Really, no cages rattled here and if you take me with you we can dicsuss this further.:d

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom