dive torch consideration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caledfwlch

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I remember during my AOWD i had a pelican light that was useless under water, the lights could barely light up anything, but my instructor had something tha was like a massive beam of light.

I'm really keen on getting a underwater kinetics Q40 as a torch. However I have no idea how many lumens and Watts an ideal torch needs. any advice on what i should be getting?

Not this kind of bright :D:
like a massive beam of light.

You really want that Q40 don't you...:D - even though the Dorcy is 3x as bright, aluminum, and has approx. twice the burn time. Personally I wouldn't night dive with a Q40 as my primary night light. Even UK doesn't recommend it:
Divers all over the world prefer the Mini Q40 eLED Plus as their secondary or close-up light

A couple examples. With my SL4 eLED (115 lumens) at night - in not particularly clear water (Utila) - I seemed to be trying to see what was at the end of the beam. It was good to maybe 40-50' then the light output fell off dramatically. UK also calls it a secondary dive light.

I bought the Dorcy last year. Went on a liveaboard to T/C - extremely clear water. One safety stop I pointed both my SL4 and then the Dorcy down at the other divers still near the bottom - probably 50-60'. Back on the boat one of the other divers commented that he noticed that when I switched on the Dorcy - everything got real bright around them.

The boat was 120' long, hanging on the ladder I could illuminate fish feeding off the other end clearly enough to easily identify them. In fact the jacks were feeding off the baitfish in my light.

Several of the people on the boat planned to buy one at the end of the week after asking about mine. My light, my buddy's C4 eLED and a woman's Princeton Tec Shockwave 3Led were the brightest lights on the boat all week. Hers was a lot brighter - also 8 D-cells and $150+. I can also put the Dorcy in my BC pocket - they can't. I'm probably buying a 2nd one b4 my next trip.

hth,

I second the Dorsy. The brightest light you can buy for the money....... I've seen a lot of more expensive lights that were no where near as bright as the Dorcy.......Great light!!

im going on a trip at the end of the month and they are supplying a torch for the 2 night dives. so i was thinking that the q40 would be a good back up, and since i can clip it to my mask, it'll be alot more hands free. im just worried that the q40 would be poor **** like the torch i was provided during my AOWD.

the 'massive beam' of light was the instructors light, not a q40.

You've been given good advice here...I'd take it :)

Would the Dorcy be considered as a primary?

Back
Top Bottom