Dive Trailer Design

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MORAY SCUBA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Today I purchased a 6' x 10' enclosed utility trailer that I plan to set up for diving. If anyone has any suggestions on how the layout should look I would love to hear them. Of course I will have the normal stuff like tank racks, shelves, etc. If you own a dive trailer is there anything that you would do differently as far as set up and location of gear? It does have a side door and there is room to stand up in it. I regularly teach classes and will be hauling student gear alot. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.:idk:

Well mine was on page 12 of that google link. But here are a few more pictures.

The trailer is a 7'6" x 12'. Tandem axle. I teach out of mine as well. I kept the middle open because I have those 24 gallon stanley roller tool boxes for my gear and each of my student's gear sets. With the cascade I can haul 6 tanks and be legal. I have students or divemasters haul tanks if I need any more than that. I have been stopped by the weights and measures guy before so I stay on the safe side. The buckets in the front of the trailer are for weights. The hanging rod is used to hang wetsuits over night to dry or for extra gear that I may need. Other than that, a few shelves for misc stuff, a place for the pop up canopy and dolly and I'm good to go. I would have made the place for the dolly in a more accessible location when the trailer is loaded. Everything else has been working good. Oh and I went to combination locks because I got tired of walking up to the trailer and not having any keys with me. That has saved me a lot of trips.

Attachments

• trailer1.jpg
    trailer1.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 3,508
  • trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 2,326
  • trailer4.jpg
    trailer4.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 2,172
  • trailer7.jpg
    trailer7.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 1,400
It looks like you put alot of thought into the layout. The one thing I do not want to do is rush to get it all set up and it end up being non-functional.

Lots of thought, took me forever to get started. I didn't want to do it twice. The cascade had to go over the axles so everything else was designed around that requirement trying to keep things basically balanced. I gathered all the stuff that I thought I would ever want to haul in there and just figured out where it would fit the best.

Due to limited space I will have to skip out on a cascade. I figured to put the tank racks over the axles and kind of work off of that. Thanks again.

As you already seem to know where you put the weight matters for towing. Much of it depends on what you want to bring with you too. The little BBQ on the shelf is a nice feature. Maybe some chairs stored somewhere. An awning mounted off the side could be a divers best defense against the hot sun. A battery onboard with an inverter for charging equipment batteries or running electronics might be a nice accessory. Of course this requires having the 7 pin connector set up to supply 12V to the trailer.

You might be able to find some cabinets for a reasonable price that would work for storage. Heck one of the Costco stainless tool boxes bolted down might be appropriate if it had all kinds of big drawers.

Hey Brandon, I just ran across this thread while fighting the sleepy Munster tonight at work. While looking back, I was insane for spending the money that I did; however I have to acknowledge also that planning my trailer was pretty damn fun too! Just be careful buddy and don't under plan, and on that same note, don't make it more complicated than what it needs. Everything is cool while it's nice and clean, but I promise all those lil nicks and crannies are a PITA to clean and get sand out of later on. Just some things to think about and I'll go over this a lil bit more next week when you come over.

Be thinking about power, lighting, aux batteries, backup lighting, scene lighting, and the capacity that your vehicle has to tow and power this thing. Do you want to be able to use it while disconnected from your vehicle, or plug it in when you're at home and forget about it? What about those 10 cylinders attached to the wall with 4 lil sheet metal screws? Sadly this problem still is my MAJOR weak point. Sand on the floor and not buying rubber mats has now cost me a coat of paint to the bottom of my steel cylinders.

Looking back my major hurdles was, and still is with safe anchoring for my cylinders. The shelving was also a learning curve of trial and error. Now some years later I am beginning to see the effects of not water protecting my walls (although this was planned somewhat). I grossly under estimated the amount of weight I would be putting in this thing, and now wished I would have spent a lil more and purchased a tandem axel with brakes.

Some of the strong points I enjoy are the 12 and 110 volt power system I use that make disconnecting my trailer and it still being able to be used at night, or plug it in and leave it for a day when I get home to my apartment. I enjoy the work bench in the front so that I can assemble gear or tinker with stuff at the dive site. Not having a garage also makes this even more useful.
I’ll try to list a few things to think about, but really this can go on and on. I’ll be interested to see what others have to add as well. But chances are my wallet will not. Lol

1. Weight capacity
2. Outside lighting: Backing, scene, running lights.
3. Convenient placement of spare tire. (don’t forget to get you a JACK and 4 way)
4. Shore line for 110volt
5. 12 volt auxiliary onboard battery for inside lighting.
6. 110volt inverters for radios, coffee pots etc.
7. 12 volt cigarette lighter type port to charge cell phone, IPods etc.
8. 110volt lighting to use when you don’t wish to drain your battery and have a power source
9. 50-100’ heavy gauge extension cord on a reel.
10. Nice heavy duty blower to help dry gear while you sleep at a hotel or sack out from a long drive home.
11. Slip resistant paint for flooring. There are many more expensive options. Be carefull.
12. Waterproofing for walls so you can spray this bad boy out with a water hose and not baby it.
13. Some form of better air venting other than the overhead lid. The wind while driving will beat those to death if they are open, but then again without something open it will be a stinking nasty oven in there waiting on its first victim to open the doors.
14. Horse trailer or cattle trailer type door latches to add a lil extra security.
15. Prepare to buy a bunch of streak be gone. My trailer is looking super nasty right now from the oxidation of the roof running down the sides.
16. Inside shelving and how what you used will or will not hold up on those back country roads when you haven’t passed a crapper in the last 80 miles.
17. Think again about those cylinders and how to anchor them.
18. Where and how will you be diving 5 years from now? Build it now to suit your style then.

I’m sure there is a bunch more things others can think of. You may have already looked in the past, but here is link to my photo site where I have a few pictures listed.

See ya later Brother,

Ken

(Ok, I tried to copy this over from Word and it totally slaughtered it.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom