Dive travel or travel & dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on_two_wheels

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, so the headline might have seemed a bit confusing. I'm debating how to arrange a dive trip. I have an opportunity to rent a 1 or 2 bedroom condo (timeshare) in Cancun sometime over the summer. It would be 1 week for $600. Now, add in the cost of diving about 4 of those days. I have no idea how much diving costs there, though. So would it be better to do it this way...pay for lodging and diving separately or to just buy a dive vacation that includes both? Oh, and with the condo, I can also pay an "all inclusive" fee if I choose to go that route but not sure how much it is.

Man, $600 for a condo for a week?! Does it have a roof on it? :D

Drop a line to Ben at benrmooney@yahoo.co.uk. He's the owner/operator of Mayan Aqua Dive offers Cancun Diving, Snorkeling, Cavern Diving, Cozumel Dives & PADI Courses. Excellent operation, fast boat, dive your computer and no crappy dive sites. Check out the website and you can get an idea about dives. Ask him about a dive package. They pick you up and delivery you back at the end of the day.

I wouldn't do a combo condo/dive plan. I think you make out better with seperate operations. You don't want to be stuck on a cattle boat with 20 people. Also, if you can swing it, I wouldn't get the all-inclusive options. Booze is watered down and the food is usually crappy.

Since you are in the military, you may consider dropping a line to Allen_Mason@hotmail.com, Brits In Cancun, Holiday Discounts, Advise and Information for Brits on Holiday in Cancun, Mexico. He's retired Brit Army and gets some slamming deals on hotels. He primarily works with the military and is a helluva a guy, same as Ben. Contact him if you want to go clubbing if he has some of the guys up from Belize. They are a wild bunch!

Dive safe and ride safe!

Jack

If I can ditch the wife I may actually go with you! If I cant then I may come just the same but then who will watch the dogs?

Okay, so the headline might have seemed a bit confusing. I'm debating how to arrange a dive trip. I have an opportunity to rent a 1 or 2 bedroom condo (timeshare) in Cancun sometime over the summer. It would be 1 week for $600. Now, add in the cost of diving about 4 of those days. I have no idea how much diving costs there, though. So would it be better to do it this way...pay for lodging and diving separately or to just buy a dive vacation that includes both? Oh, and with the condo, I can also pay an "all inclusive" fee if I choose to go that route but not sure how much it is.

I cannot talk about the diving based in Cancun, we always take a right on 307 from the airport and head for either Playa del Carmen or Akumal. $600 for a week, not to shabby at all. In the low season condos on the beach (literally) in Akumal run about the same. If you want to party like a Viking, Cancun. If you want to relax enjoy the beach, Akumal. Playa del Carmen is in between the two extremes both geographically and in attitude.

I would get the maps for the areas you are interested in from Can-Do Maps and travel guides if you are unfamiliar with the area. All the hotels, restaurants, dive shops are listed and most have web addresses. You will save many times the $8 or $10 the map costs. Stay away from the all inclusive option and look at the restaurants listed on the map. I have found them to be pretty accurate. BTW, you will save money and eat better.

Cost of diving, we have gotten a 10 dive package for $250 (our gear) and it seems that they are getting around $60 a dive if you buy them individually. I have also been quoted prices for over $80 a dive. It varies a lot from shop to shop.

The diving is pretty nice in Cancun, but I have nothing to compare it to. There was lots of life on the reefs we dove...eels, rays, nurse sharks, barracuda, angels, etc. Great vis, too. Ben is awesome, and I'm looking forward to diving with MAD again.

I'm actually planning a year ahead, too. We're doing Coz in October, but then going to stay next year near Tulum and I'd like to get my cavern cert. I'd use Gwen at MAD if he did it instead of just the day-trip dives, as he's a great instructor, but think I may look up Dennis at Diablo since I think he is based there.

The condo price of $600 is really good, BUT...even with Travelocity, I think I was able to get less than $100 per night with a really nice room at the Gran Melia last year. So definitely shop around and see if you need a hotel room or a regular condo.

Those are some pretty good prices, driftwood. The only bad thing I've heard about Akumel has been the sand fleas do a number on you on the beach.

I thought about going to Tulum just to do cenotes.

I have never had a problem with the sand fleas in Akumal, thank God.

Personally, I would not dive again with the "$25 a dive package" shop, its a safety thing. First, the boats don't meet Coast Guard regulations. Second, they were taking discover divers out on regular dives with only one divemaster. It may follow the letter, but to me it is close to criminal.

For a stay to hit the cenotes, Tulum or Akumal. Tulum is bigger and has nicer beaches while Akumal is closer to most of the cenotes and PDC. Tulum can be more rustic while Akumal is more upscale. For topside turtle nesting/laying, Akumal wins hands down.

If you want the links I use, PM me.

BTW, Becky and me got our air for $125rt each with all taxes, straight cash deal with no airline miles. Staying at Hacienda de Torgutas on Half Moon Bay for $109 a night with taxes and our rental car for the trip is less than round trip airport transfers to Akumal. For the week, we will be spending less than $1000 a person including food and beer. If you know where to look, Mexico is a great vacation that won't break the bank.

Back
Top Bottom