Dive Trip to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

still new

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Howdy I am attempting to organize a dive trip for about 10-15 divers. I have received a really good deal from the CoCo View Resort. My problem is I have never been there before and would like some info on the resort and the diving. I understand that the diving is amazing but to hear it first hand would be great. Thanks for any help.

First of all I love COCO View and will go back.

The dive operation is second to none.
The resort is like dive camp - rustic - buffet food - not gourmet but you won't go hungry.
Its a dive resort - NOT a resort with some diving.
Most guests there do 4/5 dives a day and many do 6.

I think its as close you can come to the liveaboard experience and remain land based.

IMO, the diving on the north side(except for the Italian's shark dive) is better......ESPECIALLY if you have 4-5' seas on the south side vs almost calm on the north side & West End....I would guesstimate it's this way about 75% of the time...

Example:.... June of '94 we made our 1st trip to Roatan(25 more since then).Stayed @ Fantasy Island(which is next door basically to CCV) on the south side...Out of 6 days of diving, we dove 2 on the south side(with this kind of waves) & they brought us thru the island to the north side where they had 2 boats waiting daily for us on the north side---1-2' seas to almost flat all days.....btw, my wife bought us a house on the north side that week(while me & our 2 sons were diving the north side)...

All this is just my opinion but a 1st hand opinion that took years & alot of money to come up with.....good luck & enjoy the little island---it is a different place once you start roaming & discovering it....

EDIT:....seems most stay on the south side so you'll proably get alot of good reports......Who's correct??----guess you'll have to go & make up your mind for yourself......

We just spent a week in Fantasy Island last month, so I can't comment specifically on CCV, except to say I have heard nothing but nice things about it. You can also check tripadvisor.com. I can comment about the diving - you are in for a treat, as it was the nicest diving I have ever done - the reefs are in great shape. Out in front of CCV, and FI, are two walls - CocoView Wall and Newmans reef - and these lead directly into another dive site, The Wreck of the Prince Albert, so you have some real nice shore diving available - a great way to end a day. Apparantly the PA sustained a bit of damage due the earthquake - a buckle or two and a 5" crack from the deck down to the sand - maybe you can report on this.....Makes a nice night dive, too.

Favourite sites of mine... Mary's Place (a classic), 40' Point and Missing Link - next to each other (great walls that end with a shallow coral garden - absolutely beautiful).

Seas were quite calm when we were there, to the point of being glassy late in the day.

Let us know how much you like it.

Howdy I am attempting to organize a dive trip for about 10-15 divers. I have received a really good deal from the CoCo View Resort. My problem is I have never been there before and would like some info on the resort and the diving. I understand that the diving is amazing but to hear it first hand would be great. Thanks for any help.

Follow the link provided by cfelliot. The Bay Islands have their own forum here on SB.
Lots of info, trip reports, and photos there. Also you can check out my trip report on my website and photos and videos. Ronscuba also has great videos on Vimeo.com you should check out.

robin:D
I love CoCoView Resort!

In that the OP is looking at CCV, here's my answer to the question he was asking...

You will use CoCoView as a benchmark to measure all future resort, dive boat, and dive operations. South side Roatan diving I rate in the top 3 of the Caribbean, but the resort of CCV is #1 from my perspective.

EDIT:....seems most stay on the South side so you'll proably get alot of good reports......Who's correct??----guess you'll have to go & make up your mind for yourself......

"Most" people who post here are serious, repeat visitors who go to dive, above all else. You will not find a wild party scene in any of the few AI resorts that populate the South side. The party animal does not post on SCUBABoard, which is a shame, as the West End has some pretty good draw for certain divers, as well.

But you did say that you were bringing a dive club, right?

YouTube - Roatan Bio-Geography Micro Environments, Scuba Diving with Doc Radawski explains the differences between North/West and South. BTW- FIBR's dive boats are a distant follower to CCV's, but look at the pix and make up your own mind.

CoCoView? Take a look: CoCoView Explained in Pictures pictures by Doc_Adelman - Photobucket

My wife and I went to CoCo View for the first time last month. It really is the next best thing to being on a live aboard. The diving is so easy there. We did the all day trip to West End for 3 dives. These dives were the high light of our trip for us. I will go back to CoCo view, but I also really want to do more dives on the West End/North side. Decisions, decisions!

I stayed at FI when I was on Roatan.

Never saw more fish than on that trip. You had to push them away to view more.

Enjoy

As you can see a lot of us are CCV fans....I have been going there on and off since 1989...I really cannot add anything more to what others here have said....you may want to visit CCV's chat board CoCo Chat we are all addicts or coconuts so come on over and visit :D.....we will make you feel like family :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom