Dive trips from Brisbane ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amanda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone !

I haven't been active in a very long time, but when I found myself having a dive-related dilemna recently, I thought of SB! :wink:

So, here goes - I am going to visit my mother one last time in Vanuatu in May, and since I have a stop over in Brisbane, I thought I'd take the opportunity to make it a longer stop over (a week) and try and dive some more! I heard so much about the GBR...

It would be the last week in May. I took a look around the internet and saw that there was a cool wreck (HMAS Brisbane) near Brisbane. I love wrecks, I've been to the Coolidge in Santo, Vanuatu and many more. So that's a big plus for me.

So I guess my question is: is it worth it going for a week-long live aboard to reach the Southern Great Barrier Reef, or are the shorter 2-day boat trips around Brisbane (Moreton Bay Marine Park etc) just as nice?

And time-wise, is late May a good time to be diving around Eastern Australia ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help ! :)

The HMAS Brisbane is a good dive - if you search SB you'll find several reports about it

There are also other good dives in/around Moreton Bay - the Manta Bommie off Stradbroke Island is often listed amongst the best dives in the world

The GBR is amazing as well, but is a fair distance from the Brisbane area (1000km+), and covers a large area

Water temps in FNQ typically range from 22-28 degrees C throughout the year, so compared to Scotland it's always warm

HTH

Thanks Tortuga :)

It looks like you've been to both the Moreton bay area and the southern end of GBR - would you say it's worth travelling the extra 1000km? Or are the dives near Brisbane just as good?

Brisbane diving is actually quite diverse, considering i lived there for many years and didnt realise, i was kicking myself (figuratively not literally) when i first hit the water.
Pro-Dive Brisbane and Nautilus Scuba both have a variety of good sites and plans.
HMAS Brisbane off Mooloolaba

Examples:
Flinders Reef, Moreton Island - turtle central (plus a massive cleaning station), lots of coral and colourful marine life
Henderson Reef, Moreton Island - Grey Nurse shark breeding ground
Flat Rock, Manta Bommie, Stradbroke Island - sharks, turtles, mantas galore

Big Cat Realty does a really good weekend liveaboard, you can book direct or through pro-dive.
Amateur Underwater Photographer

I would suggest that you buy a cheap ticket from Brisbane to Cairns and do a weeks Liveaboard from there out to the Coral Sea. You will get some awesome diving in.

pay the money for a good liveaboard like Spirit of Freedom for example and you will have a great time.

Another option is to Dive at Byron Bay which is 2 hours drive south of Brisbane.

Regards Mark

Oh, I didn't see these replied (the notification thing doesn't work for some reason?)

Unfortunately it's not an option to go to Cairns for a full week, but I found some advice on the Lonely Planet that looks good: Fitzroy Reef and Lady Musgrave Island, off the town of 1770, about 400km north of Brisbane.

It's the southern end of the GBR, and the info I checked online says it's absolutely beautiful and much less touristy (even better).
It would be easier to get to, and also cheaper...

Anyone heard of it? I did a quick search on SB but didn't find any details.

Hi Amanda

I am a big fan of Brisbane and regional area diving.
After spending three years travelling our great continent looking for the perfect all round/all year dive spot to live in, Brisbane can up tops. just not to many people realise.

The Above posts mention some of the great spots, with a Grey Nurse shark Nursery just off Straddie as well, not to also forget the Tweed which can provide some interesting Drift diving.
The HMAS brisbane is an excellant dive. It is very accessable and the collection of marine critters and flora is growing.

For value for money, Brisbane is the go.
There is a liveaboard which goes every weekend from Brisbane to Fitzroy Reef and is under $400 for two nights with food and tank hire included. Suggest you give the guys at Nautilus Scuba a call. Nautilus Scuba Centre | Learn to Scuba Dive, Brisbane Diving and Snorkelling trips

Brilliant ! Thanks a lot for the tip :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom