Dive Vacation for Female Traveling Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carolrose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good place to go for a female traveling solo? I don't need anything fancy, just clean and safe. I don't need much to do besides dive, but somewhere that it's easy to hook up with dive buddies would be a plus. Oh yeah, and somewhere warm would be preferable.

Dunno what you mean by the phrase "hook up".

If you mean what my kids mean by that phrase, try Hedonism II or III.

Both offer nice diving (I'm told), and as you've got something less than 30 dives under your weightbelt the boats they send out should be able to take you to dive sites where you would feel comfortable and safe. Singles are always welcome...

More info here, or else check out their website:
http://honeymoons.about.com/cs/nudejamaica/a/Hedonism.htm

I did dive trips to Key West and Puerto Rico solo. The Fajardo Inn has a package with Sea Ventures Dive Center (all of which you can find online) that I liked. Fajardo is a little touristy. The P. Ricans like to travel there for the beaches and the hiking around El Yunque. The dive charter is pretty good. The only draw back is that you'll have to rent a car to get to the eastern part of the island from the International Airport in San Juan, and to drive from the hotel to the docks. The surrounding area is prety cool too for post-dive activities: hiking, swimming, kayaking (highly advise the bioluminescent lagoon trips), and just hanging out.

I also advise South Point Divers for Key West. The nice part about Key West is that you can walk to the docks from just about any part of the town where you might be staying. I can't say anything about the price of hotels (I stay at the Navy Lodge when I travel there).

As far as the safety thing, just do your homework before you travel anywhere solo. So long as you have a good map, don't do anything dumb (such as flash your room key to everyone in the local bar), and give yourself plenty of time to make it to the docks for your dive, you'll be cool.

I travel solo alot, and I have never had an issue (even when I lived in Europe). It's all about your mind set when you go.

My moto: travelling solo rocks! You can eat when you're hungry, nap when you're tired, see what you want to see when you want to see it, and meet whomever you want by simply asking them to take your picture.

caroln:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good place to go for a female traveling solo? I don't need anything fancy, just clean and safe. I don't need much to do besides dive, but somewhere that it's easy to hook up with dive buddies would be a plus. Oh yeah, and somewhere warm would be preferable.

Don't know when you are planning on going but at the end of the month there are several single divers from the board going to the Keys. Everything is already set-up. You just have to put your name down, buy a plane ticket, and start diving :D

caroln:

Little Cayman Beach Resort. No night life except what you make for yourself but great, safe diving and very pleasant facility.

Doc Intrepid:
Dunno what you mean by the phrase "hook up".

If you mean what my kids mean by that phrase, try Hedonism II or III.

I just mean hook up as in meet people who I can dive with :) I'm married, just to a non-diver with a lot less vacation time then I have. I usually take a solo trip or two a year, but this year is my first time looking to do a dive trip. I'll be doing it later in the year, after I have a bunch more local dives under my belt and feel better qualified to be a good team mate to a stranger.

Pretty much any liveaboard will give you what you want. I have been solo on the Nekton boats and on a Mike Ball boat no problem diving and no problem finding a buddy. Single female was on at least two trips and I didn't notice any issues at all for them re finding someone to dive with and safety was a non issue on these liveaboards.

lil_wings:
I travel solo alot, and I have never had an issue (even when I lived in Europe). It's all about your mind set when you go.

My moto: travelling solo rocks! You can eat when you're hungry, nap when you're tired, see what you want to see when you want to see it, and meet whomever you want by simply asking them to take your picture.

I agree 100%. I love traveling solo, I usually go to Europe when I do it, but have never done it for a dive trip. I love the freedom of doing exactly what I want when I want, but still having a dive buddy is kind of important so I want to make sure that's not an issue.

Consider something like Dee's trip to Roatan (shamelessly promoting link in my sig line). I've been once. And there were plenty of singles there. It's incredibly safe. I also know that for the trip scheduled for May/June that there are a large number of singles already going. You can easily do five dives a day if you'd like. Last time, some of the divers met up for early am dives and/or night dives without their usual dive buddies.

I also like the idea of a liveaboard. I've not done one, but I would definitely consider doing it solo.

Another option for you is to put together your own single dive trip. I know DandyDon has done it many many times. I've done it once with another single girl friend I met on a dive trip. Or consider joining a group that's already established like the trip MissD mentioned to Florida.

I like planning trips almost as much as I like taking them!!

Missdirected:
Don't know when you are planning on going but at the end of the month there are several single divers from the board going to the Keys. Everything is already set-up. You just have to put your name down, buy a plane ticket, and start diving :D

Darn it! That's right before my 3 months after sinus surgery is up. Doc said no diving at all for 3 months. Hmmm I wonder how strict that number is. Time to give him a call.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom