Dive watch battery replacement.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pavao

Contributor
Reaction score
Do you guys send your dive watches out for battery replacement, to authorized only facilities?

I brought my Citizen Aqualand Promaster to a Sears for a battery change but the gentleman there wouldn't do it, said it needed to be done by authorized service centers only. That information is actually engraved on the back, and is understandable the guy wouldn't want to do it, but I'm almost certain I've had it changed it in a Sears before, I understand they can't pressure test it, but I'm willing to take the risk, what do you guys think?

Thanks
Pavao

I think it's just a liability issue. Dive watches (most of them anyway) have a sealing o-ring, and if not re-installed "competently" (read: authorized service center) may compromise the water resistance.

I think it's just a liability issue. Dive watches (most of them anyway) have a sealing o-ring, and if not re-installed "competently" (read: authorized service center) may compromise the water resistance.

Right, just like any user battery replaceable dive computer.

I just have to find another place near my house that won't mind doing it.

I used to have only authorized sevice center replace the batteries but they stopped doing it locally and said they needed to send it to New York for up to six weeks and for alot of money. I found another place locally that does it (non-authorized) but he does this sort of thing alot and for much less. He does do everythng necessary i.e. pressure test. I have not had any issues for many years of using the new guy. One thing is that if you are still in your warranty period, having non-authorized service will void your warranty. I was almost out of the warranty period on my current watch anyway.

Its about as DIY and changing your wiper blades. And I can guarantee the guy doing your watch it is no smarter, probably dumber, than you. Google a youtube on your model; someone probably has done it if its "forbidden".

I will say, that's one thing I checked for before I bought my computer - if its bat service by the maker only, its a non starter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom