dive with a whale shark in Atlanta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laserdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone have info on diving the Ga. Aquarium in Atlanta??
I was on my AOW this weekend and someone metioned it.Would be to cool to dive with that whale shark!!

laserdoc:
Anyone have info on diving the Ga. Aquarium in Atlanta??
I was on my AOW this weekend and someone metioned it.Would be to cool to dive with that whale shark!!

I dont have any connections so I could be wrong,but I havent seen any info where you could dive the Ga aquarium.
Been to Chattanooga,Gaitlinburg and Epcot Living seas.Without being employed by one,the only one I know you can dive is Epcot(great dive!!!).
Dont know about others, but speaking to DM at Epcot,to even get a get a job diving there(without cleaning duties) you at least need DM certs. The ones that took us down had higher certs.
If, in fact, you can dive there please post info!!!!!!!!!!!!

I emailed them a month or two ago and they said that diving excurssions was not something they were offering at this time.

Personally, with the overwhelming crowds they've had and the fact you have to buy "scheduled" tickets, I think they've just got their hands full as it is.

mike_s:
I emailed them a month or two ago and they said that diving excurssions was not something they were offering at this time.

Personally, with the overwhelming crowds they've had and the fact you have to buy "scheduled" tickets, I think they've just got their hands full as it is.
You may have a point on this one. I have nt even been to the big tank yet. Lines to long. Figure I would let summer go by and try in the fall

i use to work for a science foundation/NOAA and down here, we have direct connections with the big guys up there, the only way that diving would be allowed now i believe is by one curator touring another's tank, which i use to be one, so maybe i'll ask, but i do not like the ga aquarium, tennesee is much better

ringojcp:
i use to work for a science foundation/NOAA and down here, we have direct connections with the big guys up there, the only way that diving would be allowed now i believe is by one curator touring another's tank, which i use to be one, so maybe i'll ask, but i do not like the ga aquarium, tennesee is much better
Why don't you like it. It is suppose to be the biggest and is the only one that has that huge window and a whale shark

There is currently no recreational diving at the aquarium, and for the sake of the tank and fish there probably never will be. They do have a dive team that dives to clean the tank, perform maintenance, etc. To get on with them you have to volunteer with the aquarium in a non-diving role for at least a year, and then try-out for the team. Currently they are not taking anymore volunteers until the spring. Lot to go through, but then I've had my application in since my first visit. I also have a buddy with some connections who may bypass the volunteer part. I'll keep the board informed as to any progress.

A

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom