Dive Workshops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scSCUBA

Reaction score
I love the idea of actually diving.

As we move into winter, it might be too chilly to go out on boats for any length of time?

Since there seem to be several newbies here, how about a Sat session sometime mid winter to discuss scuba. Perhaps Seajay could do a demo of DIR. At least expose those of us new to the hobbie of what it's all about. Get together have the presentation, have lunch/beer just get to know each other. Perhaps plan later dives.

Maybe a local dive shop could be convinced to show next seasons new equiptment or something.

Worth considering?

I know a really cool dive shop in Myrtle Beach SC that has a fairly deep pool for training. It has windows so people can look at what is going on in the water from outside the pool. I have talked to the owner about coming up and trying out gear. Maybe he will let us use the pool for a skill/drills practice session and then later we could go to the Ripley's Aquarium. Maybe I could even get us a guided tour.

What do you all think about that idea for January or February? I am also thinking a Manatee dive sometime in the first quarter of next year. Let me know what you all think.

MB trip?

Manatee trip?

Not either or. R

Count me yes & yes

A dive in Jan/Feb would be great. A 'tune up' before I go cruising to GC and dive the wall! :eek:

I am in for as much diving as I can get to. :) I loved Ripley's Aquarium but it's been a couple of years since I visited. I'd love to volunteer dive there but unfortunately I live in Greenville. :( Oh well, one day. I would love to do something in Myrtle Beach and a manatee thing early next year. I hope I can make both of them. :) I don't have any objections to what scScuba is proposing either.....as long as we can all meet for a Sat. Let's start doing!

I'm just getting back into diving after a short trip overseas and would like to drop by and participate. Most of my dive buddies have moved away and I need to keep my skills up and begin to dive more often. Let me know what is planned and I will try to make these events as work permits.

Vinny

Those are all good ideas. I have a cruise with my husband in February, so I will be gone two Saturdays then the 14-22. January I have no plans made yet. Manatee trips are suppossed to be great in January. They book up fast from what I am told too.

I hope I can make both trips. Would like to. But, I do have to work to be able to afford my diving addictions. We are also going to be remodeling our kitchen and dining room after the first of the year, that will be putting a crimp in my diving budget too!

I hope to go on the March liveaboard that my dive shop has in March, this is a favorite of mine. They are also planning a trip to
Belize in June, and I sure would love to go on that one too. Will have to see what happens.

All sounds great! Other ideas - Nitrox class, Buoyancy Class - I know an instructor from Texas who is known as the Guru of Buoyancy who for a plane ticket and some good wreck diving and cold beer might come to work with us on Buoyancy. Also, we need to plan a big go away trip at cheapo prices for later on next year. One of those, how cheap can we go and do great diving trips.

This weekend, 11/8/03, we're planning a dive in the local dark waters around Beaufort, SC.

We are, however, going to check into the viability of renting a local pool to see if we can get a "workshop" in. I certainly would love to do a demo of DIR. Disclaimer: I am not a GUE instructor... And my skills in my DIR class were woefully inadequate... As were everyone's, I believe, who hadn't seen DIR skills before. Nonetheless, I have practiced my a$$ off, and I feel like I might be able to at least demonstrate what I have confidence in. At least it may shine enough light on the subject to help pique your interest so that you can consider taking the course from someone qualified to teach it.

Of huge benefit would be an underwater video camera... It's an amazing thing to be able to see yourself underwater... And it does amazing things for you to see how accurate your perception is of yourself. Unfortunately, I do not own an underwater video camera... If someone has one, it would be terrific. :)

I believe that a workshop would be a fantastic thing... Even without any DIR skills introduced. GUE calls them "practice days," and we could all have a blast and end up better divers for it. If I can show some of the things I was introduced to in my DIR-F class, then it would be even cooler. Like I said, perhaps it'll pique your interest... Or possibly prepare you for the class so that you aren't so "bowled over" by the amazing things that I know at least *I* hadn't ever seen before.

Yeah, man... I'm totally up for it. RavenC is looking now to see if we can get a hold of a pool...

Back
Top Bottom