divemaster cert...which fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squirrel

Reaction score
to complete the divemaster cert, a part of the pool swims is a 800meter snorkel.

which fins did u use for this, or do u think would be the best? splits/paddle, full foot/heel strap?

should i just use the fins i usually use for scuba , actually dont know how these would go on a face down surface swim...never tried that...

have several fins in my kit inc twin speed SPros...

thanx

I have two pair of fins: a full-foot Cressi frog and Mares Avanti Quattro heel-straps.

I prefer the frogs whenever the water temperature allows for no booties or just neoprene socks, and that's how I did the 800 mts snorkeling for my DM.

I wasn't accustomed to so much snorkeling in one time, but I was well within my physical limits and got 3 points.

Usually, full foot fins are more efficient than open heel. The best thing to do is take the entire pile of fins down to the pool and do some timed practice runs of 50 or 100 meters each.

I did my snorkel swim with my splits, and I got a 5 on that one; mind you I'm not extremely athletic or anything. My instructor said that usually the people with split fins got high marks on the snorkelswim aswell as on the tired diver tow. But, the most important thing I think is that you use fins you are comfortable with; you don't want to get a cramp halfway through.
Good luck!

Full-foot fins are much better for kicking at the surface in just snorkeling gear. They are not so stiff that they cause cramps, but they are not so flexible that they are inefficent. I did my snorkel with my regular fins, but as I have said before, I'm a former college swimmer, so it didn't make much difference to me.

However, the best fin for you is the one that causes you the least amount of energy for the greatest amount of propulsion.

If you have questions on how I can help you with your swimming requirment (if you need it) please feel free to direct them my way. I'm willing to help in any way I can.

More than fins, i would try to talk your instructor into doing the swims in open water, where you don't have to turn as much as in a pool. You lose a lot of time making those turns. Just make sure the open water location is relatively calm with no currents that will hurt you.

For power and speed, in my expereince, the open foot fins are better in general than the full foot fins. But would agree with others, it's most important to use a fin you are familiar with. Using a fin with more surface area for thrust needs more force to fin and could easily cause cramping if your not conditioned to use them.

The turns will wear you out! In the pool I did my swim in, it's 54 turns (27 laps) - what a pain!

PS - I used Quattros

I used a pair of full foot fins they had in the dive club. Nothing special.

The instructur warned us from trying to do that swim with open heel+booties, as they tend to float and make the whole thing more difficult than it should be.

Just don't worry. You'll make it. I am a very poor swimmer but by maintaining a steady pace I was able to do it within the given time (and we did this in open sea).

Ari :)

I would use a full foot fin when
I did uesd spilt fins bad news. I love spilt fins under water good luck on or swim

the snorkel part was a pain in the a$$. I ended up side kicking to keep my fins in the water as much as possible. I'm in pretty good shape, got a 3. The fattest, most out of shape guy got a 5. I decided it all comes down to the fin , not the finner. He was using a really pliable fin, one that you could drive deep into the water and get a good long up stroke. The rest of us were just flapping our fins on the surface. I still have issues with that test!

mike

ps- maybe try some of the freediving fins; long, soft. Also, do flip turns at the end of the pool, WAY quicker than turning in a circle, esp. with fins on.

Back
Top Bottom