divemaster cert...which fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes... use one of those free-dive full foot fins and you will speed away(com'on, it'll be over in minutes). forget about jet-fins and such, you'll get cramps unless you are navy seal trained.

The purpose of the DM Excercise 3: 800 meter snorkel swim is stamina.

From the instructor manual: Using a mask, snorkel, fins, and simsuit only (no BCD or other floatation aids) and swimming with face in the water, the candidate must swim nonstop for 800 meters. The candidate may not use arms to swim, unless the candidate has a physical challenge that limits leg use and arm-swimming is the individuals normal swimming method while diving. If the candidate stops the exercise is incomplete and must be repeated.

under 14 min --------------------- 5 pts (top score)
14-16 min 30 sec ---------------- 4 pts
16 min 30 sec - 18 min 30 sec ---- 3 pts
18 min 30 sec - 21 min ----------- 2 pts
more than 21 min -----------------1 pt

Therefore, choose fins that are the most comfortable and easy to use. If your in relatively good health and keep a normal pace you do better than 14 minutes.

I haven't done a DM course, but I do a lot of duration fin swimming for underwater hockey training.

The UWH defacto standard fin is the TechniSub Ala. They are a stiff, negatively bouyant, rubber graphite compound. They have a lot of power and can generate plenty of speed, although if you're not used to finswimming, it is likely that you'll cramp up.

For something easy on the legs, but still good for endurance, something like the Mates Plana Avanti Tre or Avanti Quatro (closed heel variety) should be perfect for the job.

If you use long freediving fins you won't be doing any flip turns at the ends of the pool. Sometimes freediving fins don't work so good on the surface, they are designed for going under the water, AND under the water there is NO comparison. Well, mono's maybe.

froop once bubbled...
I haven't done a DM course, but I do a lot of duration fin swimming for underwater hockey training.

Under water Hockey???!!! I don't get it but if it's hockey and there's water, it sounds pretty cool.

jiveturkey once bubbled...

Under water Hockey???!!! I don't get it but if it's hockey and there's water, it sounds pretty cool.

Sorry.. missed the post when it came around the first time.
Yep, underwater hockey.

1 x pool
2 x aluminium goal trays
1 x 3 lb plastic coated lead puck
12 x people (2 teams, 6 people each)
12 x masks
12 x snorkels
12 x pairs of fins
6 x black sticks (about 1' long)
6 x white sticks (about 1' long)
12 x padded latex gloves

I think I posted a couple of links a short while ago in another thread. www.underwater-hockey.com is probably a good place to start.

Oh yeah, almost forgot:
1 x off-topic post

hey guys,

ive been doing my training in these cheap full foot fins that ive had for a while, and can do the swims ok...no problem there. i have just recieved a pair of quattro powers, that i will start training in and will use for the course, and i'll use them for some boat dives this summer if i like them, so they'll come in handy....

i mite also try and get some open heel quattros to try out, see if they are as good as everyone says....

so thankx again....

heres a review on those power fins
http://www.diveoz.com.au/gear_reviews/display_review.asp?rid=15

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom