Divemaster info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Davidone

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there, I'm writing because I've got a problem with my divemaster internship. I've just started the internship in Malta and I'm realising that the dive centre I've been doing my internship at, it's very very quite while other dive centres on the island are already quite busy. The owner keeps saying to me that they are going to be very busy and she also said that once I get my IDC done she will probably hire me. She looks an honest and nice person but because I'm new in this sector and because I want to gain as much experience as I can, I'm not sure any more of the choice I've made.
My question is: has anyone ever experienced something like that? how did you deal with it?
And is it possible to change dive centre once you start your internship?
Thanks in advance.
Davide

Hi there, I'm writing because I've got a problem with my divemaster internship. I've just started the internship in Malta and I'm realising that the dive centre I've been doing my internship at, it's very very quite while other dive centres on the island are already quite busy. The owner keeps saying to me that they are going to be very busy and she also said that once I get my IDC done she will probably hire me. She looks an honest and nice person but because I'm new in this sector and because I want to gain as much experience as I can, I'm not sure any more of the choice I've made.
My question is: has anyone ever experienced something like that? how did you deal with it?
And is it possible to change dive centre once you start your internship?
Thanks in advance.
Davide
what do you mean by internship?

I will help the dive centre for three months every day, five days a week and in exchange they give me free dives (every time they have customers) and free rental equipment plus at the end I will get my divemaster certification.

I will help the dive centre for three months every day, five days a week and in exchange they give me free dives (every time they have customers) and free rental equipment plus at the end I will get my divemaster certification.
nothing about that is required for DM certification per se - that's a barter relationship for you to get a free or discounted course and them to get free labor. They are getting the better end of the deal. If you want to move centers they cannot withhold your traning record for you to bring with you, but the terms of your "internship" might require you to pay for something if you break the contract.

Nothing is ever free.

Thanks mmerriman, we didn't sign any contract so I think that I won't have to pay anything to them, however my question was more like a padi thing, what I mean is: will Padi recognise my Divemaster if it is done in more than one divecentre? or do I have to start it again from the beginning?
Sorry I'm not sure if I'm clear enough, it's just that I really care about becoming a good diver professional but it seems a bit rough out there, I mean, you can choose to pay for your divemaster and do it in about 3 weeks and I think you won't get much experience out of it, or it seems that the only other option it is to do an intern-ship, which you might get a lot of experience but first you need to be lucky with the dive centre and second they don't see DM as a profit (student) so they don't really take care about your concerns.

I'm certainly no expert, but I think there is a lot of variation in DM courses. Internships, it seems, tend to vary a lot regarding length of time (months), what "work" you must do for the shop, etc. Obviously, the course materials must (or at least should) be all covered. From what I recall with my course in 2009-10, there are a LOT of components that do take time.
I admit I haven't heard of anyone starting the PADI course in one place and finishing at another PADI shop. Has anyone here done that, or heard of it?
Main thing IMO is to make sure you take the course from a shop that will cover all the bases--course requirements. Be it a regular (you pay for it) course (and they can take more than 3 weeks, depending on your locale, weather, etc.), or an internship. And hopefully one that will then employ you if you are successful in finishing the course. By employ, I mean pay you
with money--not perks and depending on tips, etc.

It is possible to switch dive centres. You would just need to take a copy of the Divemaster Candidate Information & Evaluation Form, and the signed doctors medical.

But make sure you get a Divemaster course, not just a "Divemaster certification" !

Working in exchange for training isn't necessarily teaching you anything about being a dive professional. Ask to see your training record file. Which skills and requirements have been completed?

The padi divemaster training requirements are specific, if you've been receiving the actual training you'll have a signed log which can be brought to another dive shop to finish if needed.

If you're just free help around the shop, you might not have received much or any of your divemaster certification training yet and you would need to start it with another shop.

If the shop you're learning from doesn't have customers when all the others are busy, something is wrong. A clear conversation might be necessary.

Cameron

If you were to bring me a DM training record from another shop - unless I knew the other instructor really well I'd likely make you repeat everything anyway, since my name is going on your cert....

If the shops not busy then that sounds like a great time for the instructor to be working with you on your skills and course requirements. The only thing you need customers for is DSD leader.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom