Divemaster Internship in Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Zürich, Switzerland (where good chocolate and chee
# of dives
25 - 49
hey guys
I have some spare holiday months this year and want to invest the into my diving skills. I would like to make a divemaster internship and I was thinking Great Barrier Reef, preferably somewhere in Cairns.
Do you have any recommandations and tips for an Australia newby like me?
Thank you for sharing your wisdom :wink:
Jodokus

I'm surprised no one has been able to help you with this. I know the East Coast does an enormous number of dive masters every year :wink:

Can't help you with the GBR, only with the West Coast...

As general tips for DM courses I'd say:
- don't do it in the shortest time possible, take the longest you can
- do it someplace that allows you to work with certified divers and students virtually every day of your course.
- the only way to become a good dm is to DO stuff, not just read out of books and pretend with simulations
- expect to work your buns off to gain the real life skills you need to be an effective dive master
- cheaper is not always better. Make sure that you are getting the same things when comparing prices; many of these things won't be tangible, but some will: use of gear, air fills, access to the pool, dives, required manuals and materials etc. I've seen some courses around the traps with "really good prices" til one looks deeper and finds the extras and limitations.
- have fun!

If you have 'spare holiday months', as opposed to weeks, I'd be inclined to check out Thailand. The diving out of Cairns is not great, it much better on the west of Thailand, and also you'd get better value for money in Thailand. I used to work in Cairns, and if that's where you want to go, I'd check out Deep Sea Diver's Den. On the west of Thailand, it'd be worth looking into Lanta or Khao Lak.

Head south to Byron Bay, I reckon better diving than the GBR, and you will learn way more in more challenging conditions

Talk to Giac at SunDive, one of if not the best dive operations anywhere in Australia.
http://www.sundive.com.au

I taught for him for three years and can't say enough about this fine operation.

Cheers
Chris

Quack,

if you are looking for all you can dive internships, I think you better look to Koh Lanta or Koh Chan, Costa Rica or Belize, Cairns invented the idea and have had it down to the nearest centavo for the last 20 years. look for developing markets.

thanks for all the good advices. I have settled down with the cairns dc (...well, I just love burgers :wink: and thir program looked slim and promissing) - thought you guys might wanna know after instructing me that well. will report again, when I have finished my job there.
so long: tüdeldü
jodokus

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom