Divemaster Needed for Olympus Wreck Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben,
I have been diving with Olympus for 11 plus years and have to say that they are one of the best I have ever dove with.
I echo the valid concerns that have been expressed, so I won't repeat them. I have a group I am taking down to dive with Olympus August 13 and 14, and in that group I have folks at various levels of training. All have Advanced Adventure or AOW and I believe all have Nitrox. While Nitrox is not a must it can be helpful with staying out of deco. The DMs that work on Olympus are awesome, and a few have been there many years. Bud is my favorite! They know the wrecks well and are very safety oriented. So if it makes you more comfortable to have a guide on your first day of diving, I would say it is money well spent. I can tell you that this time of year vis should be 50+ (we have seen the sub from the surface before)and water temps are relatively warm. My biggest suggestion and 2 cents worth is, the anchor line is your friend. Use it to the wreck and back to the boat. "Parachuting in" will put you in the sand, not on the wreck, and I do NOT recommend a free floating deco. Find the anchor! It might cost you a few extra minutes on the hang line, but way safer. With that said I would like to welcome you to the Atlantic, and I know you will have a blast!

Bill

There was a moderate current on the Papoose (Hutton) today. Use of the lines was necessary ('course I always use them...sign of an experienced NC diver IMHO). Visibility on the Papoose was 60' horizontal 90' vertical. Lots of sharks even up to the hang line (see Mike Gerkins blog and video of the shark packs that have been there the last week or so...also my video on the site of bottlenose dolphins playing with us on the hang lines), the striped one that has been in the area did not make an appearence today. Back in to the Aeolus stern with still a moderate current but very blue water (75-80'H...I could see the wreck beneath me on the hang line so 100+ vertical) Sandtigers inside the wreck in the cable room out of the current...schools of big barracuda. Nice day overall and the sea swell is dropping.
Mike

Many thanks to all who helped w the decision. We wound up going out without a DM and the dives seemed like they would have been totally reasonable... though it didn't make much difference as my scopolamine and I were horizontal and puking the whole time.

Stage 1: I felt like I was going to die.
Stage 2: I realized I wasn't going to be so lucky and would have to deal with about 8 hot, sunny hours of seeing all sorts of neon colors come out of my body.

The crew on the Olympus was as accommodating as could be expected.

Special thanks to Mike who invited my buddy to tag along with him on the second dive so she could get in the water.

Good thing I like shore dives.

-Ben

Many thanks to all who helped w the decision. We wound up going out without a DM and the dives seemed like they would have been totally reasonable... though it didn't make much difference as my scopolamine and I were horizontal and puking the whole time.

Stage 1: I felt like I was going to die.
Stage 2: I realized I wasn't going to be so lucky and would have to deal with about 8 hot, sunny hours of seeing all sorts of neon colors come out of my body.

The crew on the Olympus was as accommodating as could be expected.

Special thanks to Mike who invited my buddy to tag along with him on the second dive so she could get in the water.

Good thing I like shore dives.

-Ben

That's a shame. There are some long boat rides, and if ya prone to motion sickness it'll probably happen. Although I'm not disposed to it I have gotten sea sick and almost did one day waiting to dive on the Indra. Once I was in the water things were fine. I find that's the best cure for me, get in the water and presto the naseua subsides. They are a very good crew on Olympus at least you were in good hands.

Yeah, I hate that happened to you. You looked like you'd rather be left alone and so that is what I did. More than happy to let your buddy tag. I have some photos if she wants them. Sadly the wrecks had 100' of visibility that day and except for the ripp'n currents were really nice.
Mike

Hah, it's a good thing I'm thrilled with Monterey's kelp diving and have a 2wk trip booked to Bonaire in October! Thanks for leaving me alone. I was ready to puke a little on anyone who continued to suggest that *all you have to do is look at the horizon*... We did a consolation dive @ Fantasy Lake the following day, too, which was nice. Got to play with my new camera and play underwater basketball. Also dove with 4lb of weight rather than the 26-30lb I'm used to!

Basketball: Diving a Quarry in Raleigh NC (& PWILD Ropes Course!) - Ben Yaffe's Photographs - Powered by Phanfare

As far as photos, could you drop em here? Ben Yaffe's Photographs I'll get them to Jenna. Thanks again for giving her the opp. to get off the boat.

-Ben

Pictures arrived yesterday. Thanks Mike! (For the dive and the photos.)

We'll have to find Ben some sharks to look at while shore diving :)

Cheers,
Jenna

Glad you got them. I just picked one of the shark shots and sent it along....plenty more out there...;-)
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom