Divemaster Preparation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edneeves

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am due to start my DM in July and was wondering if there are any equipment or other considerations I should know about.

Ed.

When becoming a Dm I would say the most important thing is the right attitude, the willingness to learn, and to learn from your errors. One of the best ways of displaying this is through knowledge, read as much as you can about diving, books, magazines etc, and ask questions when you're not sure.

Experience wise, I would say to dive with as many different people as you can, from newly qualified divers to more experienced divers. This way you can start identifiying possible traits and habits that may occur in students and their kits. Be prepared.

If you need any help at any time then drop me a private message and I shall endeavour to do my best.

HTH

I have been doing my best to make sure I am as fully prepared as I can be with regards to theory. I have been through nearly all the literature over and over so that I have it down as much as possible. Experience with students isn't something I can revise aso i will just have to take as much on as I can at the time.

Are there any bits of equipment that I definately need. I currently use an Air2 but have been advised to get an extra octopus for training situations. This and both the table and the wheel. Can you think of anything else I should invest in?

Ed.

if you have to do swim skills/stamina tests, you might start practicing for those if you feel you might not be fit to do them.

My fitness is pretty high, I am a competative swimmer so that shouldn't be an issue.

Ed.

edneeves:
I am due to start my DM in July and was wondering if there are any equipment or other considerations I should know about.

Ed.
Talk to your instructor - that's who will ultimately decide the issue. I found the OW manual was a good reference for gear configuration and, although it meant some changes for me, it also meant that I wasn't confusing students who look (instead of ask) for guidance with gear configuration. They can (and should) be introduced to a variety of gear as part of the class but it helps them learn faster if there is a coherent model demonstrated by the instructor and his aides.

edneeves:

Ed.

Sounds like a question best directed to your instructor.
It's not our expectations you'll need to meet, and he may have his own ideas about what gear configuration you need.

Re. your air 2, my dad did his alternate air source acsent with the DMIT during his OW because we had an odd number of students and he had a really tough time because the DMIT handed my dad his primary but didn't hold onto it as we were taught which made it really tough because the primary's hose is shorter and it kept pulling out of his mouth.
You might want to consider a longer hose if you're using an air 2 and make sure that you're doing skills the same way as the students expect for their training.
Otherwise, my DMs were great. Really attentive and kept eyes on everyone to make sure we were OK and on track.
Good luck with your training.

make sure you have compass, dive slates, computer and more exposure protection than you think is nessicary. Spending longer in the water can lower your overall immune system, then you get sick more often.

I would definately go for the octopus option for training as the air 2 is not that common and means you have to donate your primary, which means (only for a short time) that two divers have no reg in their mouth.

If you have an intergrated weight system, grab youself a weight belt for training, you can put half and half, but many students and most rental places use weightbelts exclusively.
Depending on where you are diving you may want to consider a hard box for your divegear rather than a soft bag, they protect the gear better, and the ones with lids can be locked.

in addition to that:

A cellphone for emergency calls
a handheld gps for finding divesites,
a digital camera and video with housings for selling photos to you clients,
a new truck to put all your dive gear in...

Aggghhhh the list never ends.

I use a back buoyancy BC for diving, but for DM training I use a cheap jacket style, as with it is easier to demonstrate some skills.

To get experience with students, ask your instructor to let you observe as many OW classes as possible, and perhaps even assist in demonstrating some skills. IOW, do as much of your internship as you can, as often as possible.

Regarding the water skills/stamina tests, just remember that the last 2 minutes of the 15 min water tread must be done with HANDS (not arms) out of the water. Most people raise their arms totally and that's not the object of the exercise. I found that just by raising my hands out of the water, I was able to wade a bit with the arms to keep some balance.

Good luck

Semper Safe,

Rick

Back
Top Bottom