Divemaster recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys! I’m new to this site, and diving. 32 yr old male. Educated with a time consuming job.
I’ve taken a year off my work.. I just want to live a little.

Just did my OW and advanced in Thailand. I’ve thought about doing a divemaster program for a while, and I’m now trying to figure out the best place for it. I’m ok in Spanish, and would love to improve it, so I’m thinking preferably some paradise in a central/south american country will be ideal. I’m still a young, and fairly social person, so it would be nice to be with a similar group of people.
I’m in it for the experience, and have no direct plans to later work as an instructor, although I’m open for anything at this stage in life.

Money is not an issue, at least for a while.

I have seen some other posts similar to mine. People in here are active, and thats really nice and well and all. I do however have no need for replies of an arguing character about why do a divemaster or not.. I’m just asking you experienced people for geographical advice. Where is your dream place for doing a divemaster internship?:) august - october, spanish speaking country

Thank you:)

Short answer, do it where you want to work or if you not going to work as a DM don't do it. Take the money and going dive in as many places as you can and get the experience through diving the world.

Wait you are not ready to do DM. It sounds harsh but I've seen these zero to hero DM and instructors and frankly it's scary.
No geography in your andwer. It only took two responses to start an argument! :eek:

Often regarded as the single best dive resort in the Caribbean.

I did it here. I had 4,ooo logged dives first, so I will tell you this: I was really impressed. (I did complete it in two weeks, a near-death experience at age 48)

Get what you paid for. No carrying of tanks involved. A week later, I walked-through OWSI IDC like I was taking a nap.

(BTW- @divedreaming89 , I very much so enjoyed the phrasing used in your query. We see similar but overly broad posts- all the time, but yours was precise as to your needs, and double thanks for not requiring “great diving”…although it is available at Dockside/CoCoView…you’ll just be a bit busy!)

Hi guys! I’m new to this site, and diving. 32 yr old male. Educated with a time consuming job.
I’ve taken a year off my work.. I just want to live a little.

Just did my OW and advanced in Thailand. I’ve thought about doing a divemaster program for a while, and I’m now trying to figure out the best place for it. I’m ok in Spanish, and would love to improve it, so I’m thinking preferably some paradise in a central/south american country will be ideal. I’m still a young, and fairly social person, so it would be nice to be with a similar group of people.
I’m in it for the experience, and have no direct plans to later work as an instructor, although I’m open for anything at this stage in life.

Money is not an issue, at least for a while.

I have seen some other posts similar to mine. People in here are active, and thats really nice and well and all. I do however have no need for replies of an arguing character about why do a divemaster or not.. I’m just asking you experienced people for geographical advice. Where is your dream place for doing a divemaster internship?:) august - october, spanish speaking country

Thank you:)
I see programs all the way up to instructor in south America all the time!

First question is.. Why Divemaster?

Most destination ops won't hire you unless you are an instructor. I'm pretty sure the most common reason for someone to get a DM only is to help out with a local dive shop. But that's generally something you get invited for rather than show up and request. (Actual DMs and Instructors please feel free to correct this :) )

If you are interested in improving your diving skills, then there are better options than a DM certification. For example, if you want Spanish-speaking and tech, then start down the cave certification route in the Yucatan.

You may want to read this thread of you haven't already: Does it make sense to enroll in a Divemaster course with no intention to work with?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Reminder to all posters that this thread is in BASIC

To OP:

You are NOT anywhere close to ready.

You should also ask yourself: "WHY Divemaster?"

Hi @divedreaming89

Have a look at Subway Water Sports at Turquoise Bay on Roatan. Seemed like a solid business with good training and good diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom