Divemaster training, what to look for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TinoD'Voe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm asking around to find a good place to take the Padi divemaster course in my area. All the LDS's seem to offer the same thing with a few exceptions in course structure. With regards to number of hours theory, open water and internship what should I look for before I commit to one place?

You know I have to admit that I'm not really thrilled being a dive master. I thought it would be great fun but when I finally got my card it came with a bunch of offers, subscriptions, etc.... and all asking for money. I like to dive, I like to help people, and I like to achieve.... but to be honest, I'm sick and tired of PADI asking for money.

Anyone else like that? I mean, I pretty much pay to help people as a DM and now the list just keeps growing.

Toadie:
You know I have to admit that I'm not really thrilled being a dive master. I thought it would be great fun but when I finally got my card it came with a bunch of offers, subscriptions, etc.... and all asking for money. I like to dive, I like to help people, and I like to achieve.... but to be honest, I'm sick and tired of PADI asking for money.

Anyone else like that? I mean, I pretty much pay to help people as a DM and now the list just keeps growing.
i have to agree with you on the part of p a d i asking for money for this and that, though i toss most of it you know were (TRASH) but i do like padi and though this is in GREAT part do to my lds i enjoy being a divemaster and have made very good money doing so part time.

TinoD'Voe:
I'm asking around to find a good place to take the Padi divemaster course in my area. All the LDS's seem to offer the same thing with a few exceptions in course structure. With regards to number of hours theory, open water and internship what should I look for before I commit to one place?
personally, i would talk to and really get a major feeling of the instructors, find one you think you can relate to and that you feel comfertable with, if possible talk to a few of the students from that instructor, word of mouth goes a LONG way in the dive ind, also talk to several differant instructors, find out what they expect your time frame of completion to be, is it going to be a rush job class or are you gonig to get the time and patient instuction you paid for and should expect, i think getting a feel for the type of instructor you will be training under is important!!!!!!!! also find out how offten the instructor is doing and what type of classes, as to what you will expirience during your internship!!! i hope that all makes sense to you?

If you have not taken any training with that particular shop / teacher, ask to audit a couple of [open water] classes. See how they run their classes. Sign up for a specialty class to see if the teaching style is compatible with you.

Are they teaching in a manner / style you wish to emulate? Yes, sign up.. No, move on.

PADI: Put Another Dollar In.

I took the DM course, simply because I love learning more about things I love doing. Same reason, I've taken specialty courses. I took the DM course through a private instructor, one on one. He was the head instructor for the dive shop I used to frequent. More expensive yes. But you learn more that way.

I'd look for a shop where you feel you might actually be used on a regular basis.

Al Mialkovsky:
I'd look for a shop where you feel you might actually be used on a regular basis.

If that's what you want.

Some folks do it for any reason but "work".

Where to take it/do it? Look around the area for the shop's past students (any and all levels). Ask them.

Understand what a DM is supposed to do. Watch one of his newer graduates lead a dive. Did they do the job well?

In regards to your number of hours theory, open water and internship what should I look for angle of your question, I can only relate my own experience. After many years of diving, I decided to "go pro". I pre-studied every aspect of the Rescue/DM program and went to a tropical destination resort.

I did the Rescue Diver and DM in 2 very busy weeks. (I had already done all of the quizzes, read the Encyclopedia of Diving, as well as certifying for the older First Aid requirement while up North in the cold) It was a solid 8 hrs per day for 12 days. Getter done. I immediately went to ProDive in Florida and although they busted my chops about not doing the DM with them, I was as good or better than most of their candidates for OWSI. Moral: I picked my DM Instructor wisely and did all of the work. There is something to be said for cramming it in a short period of time, memorization isn't my strong suit.

Speak with the instructors who you will be training with. Talk to the shop in general is not enough.

With regards number of hours theory, open water and internship, there are standards for the DM course that must be met. However, those standards not that stringent, and it's best for you to determine what you want to get out of the course, and how much you are willing to invest.

Meet with the instructor:
1. What is his/her teach style? Is this a style that works for you?
2. How does s/he treat his students?
3. How does s/he treat his/her staff?
4. What are expectations of his staff?
5. What are expectations for the DM course?
6. Tell the instructor what you expect to get out of the course.
7. Can you be honest and candid with the instructor?
8. As recommended above, audit a course. Do you like what you see?

Before signing up for DM, really think why you want to become a dive master. You are turning something fun into a job.

Good luck.

-Don

what do you want to do with dm rating?? if its for knowledge, just do a master diver program where you do rescue and 5 specialties..this is really the way to go for some one who wants to learn but does not want the responsibility of assisting/teaching..if you are thinking of eventually going to instr. level then must do divemaster..The lds where you purchased your equipment is the place to consider to do your dm training at..They already have a relationship with you already and you have their equipment line to wear in class..I find that the lds that you use from training to equipment purchases is the one more ready to have you assist in classes and eventually give you classes when you become a instructor(especially a new untried instructor). They develop a trust with you that you cannot get anywhere else..

Back
Top Bottom