divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slipslop

Reaction score
i have just read a post (not on scubaboard) by a youngster with 15 logged dives who wants to do his recue course then divemaster course. surely you need a lot more experience to become a divemaster? i wouldnt feel safe knowing my divemaster has so few dives. I have done over 100 dives and dont feel i can even call myself an advanced diver. what do you think?

Great attitude, don't lose it, divemasters really should know something not just accumulate a minimum number of dives and pass some test.

I tend to agree with you, I think alot of varied diving experience is needed before a person really becomes proficient enough to be a good divemaster. Unfortunately, all you need (with PADI) is 60 dives under your belt to become a divemaster. Whether that is enough experience to make a good divemaster I would say depends on the person, but generally I would voice a resounding NO.

Another thing about the PADI divemaster course is that the dives done while working on the certification count toward the 60 required dives.

Keep in mind that the PADI program is a self perpetuating program. If there is no pool of divemasters from which to pull, then the number of instructors will eventually start declining. If the number of instructors starts declining then the number of certifications give out will start declining, therefore revenues will start declining.

Make it too difficult to become a divemaster then you effectively are reducing your future revenues. Make it easier to become a divemaster/instructor then you have the potential to generate more certifications thus increasing revenues.

the K

i would like to shoot the divemaster instructor who certifies this kid!

slipslop:
i have just read a post (not on scubaboard) by a youngster with 15 logged dives who wants to do his recue course then divemaster course. surely you need a lot more experience to become a divemaster? i wouldnt feel safe knowing my divemaster has so few dives. I have done over 100 dives and dont feel i can even call myself an advanced diver. what do you think?

I would not want that kid to be my divemaster on some boat...maybe he can assist the boat captain in schlepping tanks for the tourists.

After eleven years of diving, with hundreds of logged / unlogged dives, in all kinds of conditions...I finally decided to finish off my divemaster in 2004. I have no idea why I did it...but, I felt that going through it would be an experience and something to round out my PADI knowledge. It was fun...but it convinced me to go the more technical route and not the PADI Instructor route.

Just my 02.

The PADI, SSI and other agency requirements are much to lax for dive leaders. I waited 5 years and more than 200 dives and still questioned if I was ready. Not because of a lack of confidence, quite the opposite. Also a knowledge that to be a dive leader, you had to lead dives. This could mean leading a dive (or dive trip) in virtually any environment, anywhere in the world.

I scoff at these agencies that allow someone with 50 or 75 dives - all mostly done in one environement (wherever they happen to live) and most often done as part of "continuing education." I wouldn't let them lead me anywhere. I liken it to the ridiculous idea that a college graduate should be promoted to CEO without any real world experience. For that matter, they shouldn't even be a low level manager. They should be placed in the most entry level job there is - and that is not a leadership position. Maybe they should start helping out around the shop filling tanks, but not lead divers (often new and inexperienced divers) off into the deep blue sea.

I waited 'till my seventh year and 300+ dives before becoming an Instructor. I've seen people become instructors that have never done an ocean dive. How can this be?
M O N E Y... as advancement through recreational diving is all about the money. It cost lots of it to become a dive leader and the push from SSI and PADI to become leaders is not because there is a shortage... it's because they want the M O N E Y.

Neither SSI or PADI gives a damn anymore about who gets certified and whether they should be or not... and that is the biggest problem in diving right now.

K

slipslop:

The Kraken:
Another thing about the PADI divemaster course is that the dives done while working on the certification count toward the 60 required dives.

Keep in mind that the PADI program is a self perpetuating program. If there is no pool of divemasters from which to pull, then the number of instructors will eventually start declining. If the number of instructors starts declining then the number of certifications give out will start declining, therefore revenues will start declining.

Make it too difficult to become a divemaster then you effectively are reducing your future revenues. Make it easier to become a divemaster/instructor then you have the potential to generate more certifications thus increasing revenues.

the K

Sounds like Amway...

slipslop:

I can sort of relate to him in a way. I got certified when I was 18 and I wanted to become a divemaster right away too. I had complete faith at the time that I would learn everything I needed to know to be a good DM (or instructor) from the courses.

Somewhere along the way I decided to put it off and ended up doing something like 750 dives before becoming a DM. Given what I know now I don't think anyone should go pro until their own skills are totally squared away. Some will do it faster than others but I think if I was running the world that I would set the bar at 200 dives for DM and 400 for instructor.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom