Divemaster...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raya

Contributor
Reaction score
Im now married to my gorgeous hubby with our gorge
Well I wasn´t too sure where to post this, but I thought Ide keep you all up to date on my divemaster course..as I´m really chuffed that I´m finally doing it!!
So, I´ll start from yesterday, I´m assisting with Sergi, one of the instructors here. We have 4 spanish lads, and I have 3 english people, so yesterday we did chapters 1-3 and the video, of the Open Water course, the spanish are taking it all in, however the enhlish need a little more time, but this is good, as its giving me the chance to learn how they interpret things, and also I´m having to work harder with them, explaining things, and putting it all into practise. Today, we had our first pool session, they did really well all of them apart from one english guy who got really bad cramp, so he had to get out. I´ve just been over the tests for section 3 with them, and they got 10 out of 10!!! So this afternoon, we are doing chapter 4 and 5..Its amazing just how much I´m learning off sergi, and off the students, its been 4 years since I did my o.w , but luckily its all still pretty fresh, bearing in mind this is the first time I have ever assisted a course, sergi has told me that I´m doing really well, so I´m dead chuffed!!!It seems my luck is getting better! If anyones, got any tips , on how else I can do things or to offer explanations then that would be great to hear it from all of you. I´ll let you know tomorrow how the 2nd pool session goes.
Happy Diving!

I have to say that I'm glad to hear that everything is going well for you now and that your so "chuffed" about it :wink:
I think that having the enthusiasm that you do, will have a very positive effect on everything you do, and on everyone around you :D

DB

Good luck to you ! I sure wish I had he time and money to engage in a DM course…

Well what a couple days!!!!
The students have entered the Big Blue!!! It was fantastic, they all finished off the practicals in the pool over the last 2 days, we finished all the theory, they found the majority of it, was pretty easy..however then we introduced them to the RDP and it went slightly pete tong for them then!! However eventually they got it.. In the sea they were all very good, and they were all smiling which for me was the most important. And so then yesterday...I led my first group of divers without an instructor!!! I was really nervous as I´m not too good on navigation! Thats neither on land or under the sea!! However, whilst sergi was going over some final practicals with one of the students I took the others on a little tour showing them, morena eels, octopuss, nudibrancs...and I found our way back to sergi aswell!!! So, all is going great! They have their recreational dive on Monday, on the medes islands, and then as of next week, its when I start all my theory and practicles for the DM....(Scary Stuff!!)

Way Cool and good luck on your class! You can do it - please keep us up to date.

Becky

So, I have spent the last few nights and lunch hours, trying to read the PADI Divemaster Book, oh my god!!!!! There is so much to learn, and so much to remember,I am really worried now!!! There just doesn´t seem to be enough hours in my day to cram it all in!! Anyone else recently done the course? Wondered if you could give me some tips... xx

raya:
So, I have spent the last few nights and lunch hours, trying to read the PADI Divemaster Book, oh my god!!!!! There is so much to learn, and so much to remember,I am really worried now!!! There just doesn´t seem to be enough hours in my day to cram it all in!! Anyone else recently done the course? Wondered if you could give me some tips... xx
Hi Raya...I felt the same as you when I did my DM course in April. It seemed overwhelming. Just read the manual and remember those gas laws!! The test wasn't that difficult. I'm sure you will do well. If I can pass it, so can you!!! Good luck and keep us informed. Cheers

raya:
thanx jsscuba! What about any of the other books, or did you just use the PADI DM Book? I´ve been told about the work book, and encyclopedia..???
Hola Raya...Yes, unfortunately you have to read everything: manual, workbook, encyclopedia and watch the Divemaster video. Make sure you know the technical stuff: gas laws and the recreational dive planner( table, wheel and eRDP). It seems like a lot but the test was very easy. A lot of it is common sense, and since you are at this level you already know most everything there is to know about diving. Again, if I can do it so can you. So, just read everything, relax and success will follow. Good luck. Cheers..Joe

I have been workong on the DM course now for a bit. The shop that I am doing it with is amazing. We do it a section at time so one does not get overloaded with information. I have completed most of the reading and exams required and soon begin working in the pool. and finalizing skills. The course has been so rewarding because I have been able to take my skills to the next level

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom