Diver and/or Instructor Renewal Program

Who should have to renew? and what level are you?

• Renewal for Rec Instructor and Rec Diver Certification

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Renewal for Tec Instructor Only

• Renewal for Tec Diver Only

• Renewal for Rec Instructor Only

• Renewal for Rec Diver Only

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa:
Do a Google search for: The World Recreational Scuba Training Council (WRSTC)

It's not a certifying authority. All agencies are not bound by its rules.

Renewal would adversely affect dive shops and dive businesses. If a vacation diver realized they are not certified any longer they may just say, why bother and go catamaran sailing and snorkeling on their next vacation. No sales of equipment, no charters, it may even determine that they are going to the mountains instead of the ocean for vacation.

Yes, and most of us wouldn't sleep well at night if we only taught what the RSTC required.

But it's the closest thing to the question asked.

I'm a Rec Diver, Instructor, Instructor Trainer/Examiner; and a
Commercial Air/Mixed-Gas, Bell Saturation, Diver, Supervisor, Instructor/Examiner

I believe that Instructors should be renewed annually in a similar manner as physicians. Credits could be accumulated in various ways, such as running programs or through continuous education.

I don't think diver certification should be renewed. I currently don't have much faith in anyone that has a card to know his way to the water until he gains my confidence. Diver recertification would just be another cash cow for the certification agencies and dive shops.

Last edited:
Teamcasa:
But it's the closest thing to the question asked.

Perhaps, but it doesn't meet his criteria. If you want a horse, you won't be happy with a house cat even if it is the closest thing to the question asked. I still wonder why he wants it.

Perhaps, but it doesn't meet his criteria. If you want a horse, you won't be happy with a house cat even if it is the closest thing to the question asked.
Your analogy is .. well let's just say... ah, never mind.:shakehead:

I still wonder why he wants it.

What I am sayings is we need a single point of certification that ALL are held accountable and responsible to one certifying authority.
In short we have a mess of many different interests and not a responsible authority.

I am for recertification of instructors who teach infrequently and some type of required refresher for people who have not dove in a while.

What he said.
Rec Instructor

I worked at a resort whose policy was that if you had not dove in 2 years (show logs) you were required to take a refresher course first at your LDS or with the resort. If you had not dove in 5 or more years, it was strongly recommended (though not mandatory) retaking the OW course (3 days total at the resort).

I'm not a big fan of the card renewals.

I am all for instructor quality control by their agency, and renewal is one way to do it - but logistics can discourage very good - but not necessarily very active - instructors to participate. I'd trust an agency with such quality control better than one with none.

As for divers, I can't think of a situation where checking dive logs more often wouldn't work better than card renewal.

I am a recreational diver.

What ptyx said.

Back
Top Bottom