Diver Death in Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cuba does seem to have a bit of a reputation. I have had one bad dive experienced after being certified. When I was telling an instructor he about my experience she looked a me and ask if it was Cuba. I hadn't mentioned where it was before that point. I have since heard similar stories about dive guides doing questionable things and pushing new divers beyond their capabilities.

That said, the shop I work for now plans a LOT of trips to Cuba all the time and they have nothing but positive experiences. Not a since story similar to mine or others I have heard.

I wonder if other islands have a better selection of instructors because there are no restrictions or embargoes on them. If they get just as any divers but fewer good instructors, you are going to see more incidents.

Hi Scubadiver888,

I have an idea which shop you work for since one particular shop does a lot of trips to the best dive areas in Cuba each year. The difference between those LDS group travel experiences and booking your own dive excursions in Cuba is that our local shops are providing their own Instructors and DM's and running their own courses while there. So you're getting quality instruction or leadership you may have already come to know and trust. That is a huge difference from booking a dive shop blind.

It's important to research and get opinions on a dive shop and their facilities in any country before you use them, but a new student simply would not know that. Probably all or most of us faithfully trusted dive professionals and our training when we first learned until we gained perspective and experience and realized that not all dive pros or courses were created equal.

Hi Scubadiver888,

I have an idea which shop you work for since one particular shop does a lot of trips to the best dive areas in Cuba each year. The difference between those LDS group travel experiences and booking your own dive excursions in Cuba is that our local shops are providing their own Instructors and DM's and running their own courses while there. So you're getting quality instruction or leadership you may have already come to know and trust. That is a huge difference from booking a dive shop blind.

It's important to research and get opinions on a dive shop and their facilities in any country before you use them, but a new student simply would not know that. Probably all or most of us faithfully trusted dive professionals and our training when we first learned until we gained perspective and experience and realized that not all dive pros or courses were created equal.

I haven't been on a trip to Cuba with The shop. I'm assuming it is like our local dive trips; students work with the instructors but newly certified divers are pretty much on their own. In Cuba i assume fully certified divers would go out with a local guide. Still, you make a good point that someone like a dive shop owner is going to know who is good but a newly certified diver might not do the research and select a good dive op.

That is what happened to me. Got certified, did 4 dives then went to Cuba for holiday. Resort had scuba so I went out. The majority of the divers in my group were navy divers on holiday. The guide took us places they'd enjoy. When I got in over my head the guide did help me. So I was never in danger but I certainly felt very nervous and uncomfortable.

Researching Cuban dive ops seems harder than most others. I guess it is because so few Americans go to Cuba compared to the other islands. So you tend to find less dive reports on the boards.

Does anyone have any more information on this death? The Ontario Underwater Council has received the police report from Cuba and it confirms most of what we know but also raises some questions and has some glaring omissions and errors. We are still awaiting the full autopsy report, apparently expected in the spring.

If any of you are diving with Gaviota Santa Clara Marina and hear anything regarding this fatality, please do pass the information on to me, Liz who posted earlier, or any member of the OUC. Thanks.

I dived with the dc at Sandals Varadero and felt safe but dived on the same holiday with the inhouse dive centre at Sol Melia in Cayo Guillermo and felt so unsafe. After 2 dives I packed my kit away and woukdnt go out with them again.

You will find in the Incident Report that this was an Introduction Dive. Non-certified people don't know what they don't know. Dive professionals certainly are responsible for and have a duty of care to their uncertified students.

All five were nauseated and had headaches after the first try-dive? CO poisoning?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom