Diver death in L'Estartit, Spain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vickobcn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Some more information, appears to be three separate incidents, and I was wrong, this is in fact the 6th diver death on the Costa Brava in the last 3 months...

TV News Reports (Cuatro) have reported that both the Belgian lady and the French man who died were both diving with the same dive centre. I'm not sure if I should post the name of the centre/hotel as it hasn't been reported in print anywhere else.

Un submarinista muerto y tres heridos en distintos accidentes en L´Estartit | Cataluña | EL PAÍS

Basic gist of the article is that:
- 3 separate SCUBA incidents have left one dead and three injured (1 critically).
- 70 year old man who died was a French national who was diving with a group organised by his hotel which also has its own dive centre.
- At almost the same time as the incident with the 70 year old French man, emergency services were called to rescue 2 divers, also French Nationals, who skipped what appears to be a deco-stop and both suffered from decompression accident. After being treated onsite they were both taken to the hyperbaric chamber in the Palamos Hospital.
- Previously at about 11am a 63 year old Belgian woman was evacuated by helicopter to the Josep Trueta hospital in Girona.
- Sources in the zone say that the mar was not favourable for diving activities today
- National Park of Montgri, in charge of authorising dives in the region has cancelled all diving activity for the day.
- This is the 6th death on the Costa Brava in the last 3 months.

(My previous post on the incident)
Another diver death in Catalunya, Spain. This by my count is the 4th this season, in less than 3 months...

My translation of the link below:

A 70 year old man dies while diving in L'Estartit

A diver has died in L'Estartit, in the County of Torroella de Montgrí, Baix Empordà. Three more have been hospitalized, with a woman being classified as critical.

The victim was a 70 year old man who was diving with two other people. According to Civil Protection, the members of the group started to feel ill and the boat rescued them and took them to shore. Health services could not revive the victim. The other 2 divers were transported to the hyperbaric chamber in the hospital in Palamos.

Before, in another incident, a SEM helicopter had to evacuate a 63 year old woman who also felt ill while diving. In this case, her state is critical and she has been hospitalized in the hospital Josep Trueta in Girona.

Un home de 70 anys mor a l'Estartit quan feia submarinisme

Text from link:
Torroella de Montgrí
Un home de 70 anys mor a l'Estartit quan feia submarinisme

14:54 h 12/07/2012 Un submarinista ha mort a l'Estartit, muncipi de Torroella de Montgrí, al Baix Empordà. A tres més els han hagut d'hospitalitzar, una dona en estat crític.

La víctima és un home de 70 anys que feia submarinisme amb dues persones més. Segons Protecció Civil, els membres del grup s'han trobat malament i una embarcació els ha rescatat i els ha portat a terra. Els serveis sanitaris no han pogut fer res per reanimar la víctima. Els altres dos submarinistes els han atès i els han traslladat a la cambra hiperbàrica de l'hospital de Palamós.

Abans, en un altre incident, l'helicòpter del SEM ja havia hagut d'evacuar una dona de 63 anys que també s'havia trobat malament mentre feia submarinisme. En aquest cas, el seu estat és crític i està hospitalitzada a l'hospital Josep Trueta de Girona.

---------- Post Merged at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:29 AM ----------

Just to add to this, it appears that the 63 year old lady was a Belgian national. Emergency services were notified of her incident at 10:50am.

Emergency services were notified at 12:55pm about the second incident involving the 3 divers.

The Mossos d'Esquadra (just one of the many different police units here in Spain) are to conduct an investigation into both incidents.

Muere un submarinista en Torroella de Montgrí

Muere un submarinista en una inmersión en L'Estartit

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom