Diver death near Turneffe Atoll? Any info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dktexas54

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Read in Houston Chronicle this morning 64 year old woman, Linda Cornell of Houston, Tx and Aspen, Colorado passed away while Scuba diving off Turneffe Atoll. No mention of how she died. My condolences to her family.

Read in Houston Chronicle this morning 64 year old woman, Linda Cornell of Houston, Tx and Aspen, Colorado passed away while Scuba diving off Turneffe Atoll. No mention of how she died. My condolences to her family.

I read that also and could find nothing on the internet in regards to a diver passing away in Belize. My deepest sympathy to her family.

I'm sure she was doing Something she Loved.

Which operation was she diving with?

Which operation was she diving with?

I said this before and I'll raise the point again here: What difference does that make?

Unless you're suggesting - and I'm not saying that you are - that the dive operation logistics/response/etc. somehow factored into the cause of her death or her failure to survive the incident trigger, how does who she was diving with have any more bearing on the accident than what color mask she was wearing? It seems to unfairtly tarnish a dive operation with the "they-killed-a-diver" tag.

- Ken

We should not speculate. We know nothing. The reason of my post is to seek succinct information. What dive shop has no relevance.

I said this before and I'll raise the point again here: What difference does that make?

- Ken
I thought SCUBAboard was about transparency?

I read the obit too and wondered if she had had an accident. I noticed that the article mentioned the Susan B. Komen Foundation for memorials. Don't know if that has an bearing?

We should not speculate. We know nothing. The reason of my post is to seek succinct information. What dive shop has no relevance.

I am the stepson of Linda and I was diving with her when she had an apparent heart attack. She was diving one on one with a dive master. The response to the incident was text book perfect. We had an EMT and a physician as part of our dive group. She died doing what she loved with family she loved on a perfect day. Everything that could be done was done. Simply put, God decided to call her home on what had been a perfect dive on one of the world's most beautiful reefs on a perfect day.

I'm sorry for your families loss. Thanks for updating this.

Unless you're suggesting - and I'm not saying that you are - that the dive operation logistics/response/etc. somehow factored into the cause of her death or her failure to survive the incident trigger, how does who she was diving with have any more bearing on the accident than what color mask she was wearing? It seems to unfairtly tarnish a dive operation with the "they-killed-a-diver" tag.

- Ken

I feel that it is important to name Turneffe Flats as the resort where we were diving. When one pays the amount of money one does to go to a top resort, one expects first class service. On that front Turneffe Flats definitely excelled.

A true test of any organization, however, is how it responds to a crisis. On that front Turneffe Flats equally excelled. While I never hope for anyone to have to go through what my nephew and I did in losing Linda, it was of tremendous value to have a staff that did not panic and executed emergency response procedures in a calm and professional manner.

I will be forever grateful to the owners, managers and staff at Turneffe Flats for their service to our family in response to Linda's passing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom