Diver Death - Request For Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rainmaker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The family was notified on Sunday, August 13 of the death of a divemaster who lived in (or near) Virginia Beach, VA. In accordance with the rules of this forum, the name of the deceased is not being listed here.

It is thought at the present time that the death was dive related and occurred off the coast of Virginia or North Carolina. However, at this time, very little information has been made available to the family.

If anyone witnessed this tragic event, or has any details or additional information, please post it here, or send a private message to me at rainmaker@trailquest.net .

This request is made on behalf of the deceased's mother.

Thank you for your help.

Hello All,
I am Capt. AL from Atlantic Beach Diving. The dive master was a friend of mine who would have began his full time employment with us after this weekend. He had already Captained my vessel on several occasions. But on this day he was performing dive master duties on the "Diver Down" another dive boat that he worked for. An autopsy is being done as this is being wriiten. So far as is known at this time, he went in to assist a diver who had surfaced away from the boat and was away from the trail ball. After the diver was pulled to the boat it was at some time later noticed that he was not on the surface. But he was tethered to the boat in a "hard pak". They pulled him in and he was already blue, un-concious and not breathing. CPR was administered for over a 1 1/2 a but to no avail. He was diving the "Indra' one of Morehead city's in-shore wrecks. All friends and family have been notified! I will post results from the autopsy as soon as released. He was one of the best dive master's I ever knew and a guy who "LOVED" what he did!! The only thing I can be grateful for is the fact that he went out doing what he loved. He sat in my living room the day before and we talked about how much we loved what we do as Capt. and divemaster's and the sport that we shared a love for. I would also like to post his name because there were so many that knew him, all should be able to say a prayer for his wife.! I am proud to have called him friend!!! and will miss him terribly!!

My condolences to the friends and family of the deceased diver. Such a tragic loss.

Andrew

Try this for the newspaper article http://www.jdnews.com/SiteProcessor...ates/Details.cfm&StoryID=44086&Section=Briefs

Briefs for 08/14/2006
August 14,2006

MOREHEAD CITYDiving crew member dies

A crew member of a Morehead City diving vessel died Sunday helping another diver.

A spokesman with U.S. Coast Guard Sector North Carolina at Fort Macon said the victim, James Roy Cowan, 47, of Virginia Beach, Va., was a crew member for Diver Down Scuba Diving Charters out of Morehead City.

The accident occurred around 10 a.m. 26 miles south of Beaufort Inlet, the spokesman said.

The spokesman said Cowan was trying to assist the other diver, who had some problems on the surface, when he died.

I have been diving with Diver down out of for the last four years and Roy was a regular DM with them. He also wrote weekly reports from virginia Beach for another outfit. A quite man who opened up when you spent time with him. Very sad if this is true.

My condolences to his family and friends. I had the pleasure of being on his boat last year and he was a great DM and an even greater person.

My prayers and condolences to his family and loved ones.

Wow, what a loss! My thoughts go out to his family, and loved ones.

I'm not sure what a "hard-pac" is? It is so tragic when a DM dies helping others in need. I've often wondered, and even started a thread asking who looks out for the DM's?

I am reposting my comments to the diving community about this truly remarkable man. Please forgive the sentiment as I've known him for many years and was very close to him. I am devestated by his loss. I hope that if you didn't know him personally that you will one day meet a dive professional of the calibre of this man. He was the kind of dive master and boat captain that any diver would aspire to be like. He will always be missed as he touched hundreds and hundreds of divers over the years...and I was fortunate enough to be one of them.

WreckWench 8-13-06:
Reposted sans names from here

I've have been receiving numerous calls from friends all over NC and VA including Kim, the deceased's wife, advising me that my dearest friend and a professional member of our site, gave his life today doing what he loved most.

He was the head DM on the DiverDown out of Morehead City, a position he has held for over a decade with the same boat captain, boat and fellow crew. The Graveyard of the Atlantic had it's share of current today and one of the divers apparently was swept away from the boat and in distress. He jumped in to save him and was able to get the diver back onto the boat. However when the boat captain and crew turned back around to get him back on the boat he had slipped behind the boat unresponsive. When they retrieved him he was blue and despite working on him for over two hours, he could not be revived. We won't know the official cause of death until tomorrow but it is believed that he may of had a heart attack which would be the only thing that made any sense as I personally know he is one of the strongest swimmers I know and has successfully rescued MANY divers under his extremely capable and ever viligent watch. He has been a long time supporter of my other dive charter business as well as my current one and always personally arranged to be our private divemaster whenever we were scheduled on the boat. He was our DiveMaster on our 4th of July trip and as usual in his normal form...he handled matters with a flawless precision, too infrequently seen these days. He always used to assure me 'no one will be hurt or lost on MY watch' and he was right. He has never lost a diver...and in true form...he never will.

How I will bear the loss of this near and dear friend I am not sure. While I may continue to function a very intimate part of me has also died today. This man personally saved my life about 7 years ago and I've never felt that I was able to properly thank him. He'd laugh and say that our groups always tipped the best so that was thanks enough! He was like that...fun, dry humor, yet serious as a heart attack...when it came to his 'job' as a DM.

Despite only being 47 leaves behind several wonderful children, a couple of adorable grandchildren, his mother and a lovely wife Kim of only 4 years. I can only imagine the pain that they are going thru and the slim consolation that the man they loved died doing what he loved the most...diving and helping others.

Please include him in your prayers and thoughts today as well as his family so that they will find peace in this darkness. And please keep in mind that while we all love this sport and fortunately incidents such as today are rare...we are not immortal and even the best trogen horses can be stopped suddenly...way too suddenly.

I am devestated and overcome with saddness and grief at the injustice of losing such a good man, loving father, dear husband and beloved friend. Please forgive me for my rambling...but I feel I need to reach out, cry, and vent at the horrible injustice of it all. It is just not fair to lose such a good person, a great diver and one of my best friends in the world.

Know that I love you and you will always be in my heart....Kamala

I have also dove with the man several times. He was a real pro. He died a hero and will be missed. Capt. Pat

Back
Top Bottom