Diver dies in Islamorada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver dies off Islamorada
E-Mail this story
Print this story tool nameclose tool goes here
By KeysNet.com
Posted - Thursday, April 15, 2010 03:03 PM EDT

A 51-year-old Arizona woman became the Keys' third diving death of the year Thursday offshore of Islamorada.

##### of Surprise, Ariz., was with her husband, diving off the vessel 'Giant Stride' operated by Key Dives from Bud 'n Mary’s Marina. The couple and a group of other divers were with an instructor on the 'Eagle' wreck.

According to Monroe County Sheriff’s Office Detective Terry Smith, the group was going under for its first dive of the day when ##### indicated she wanted to return to the surface. The instructor helped her to the surface, then returned to the group underwater, Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Deputy Becky Herrin said.

Herrin said #### made it safely to the stern of the boat. She was removing dive gear when she began drifting away from the boat. When crewmembers couldn’t reach her, they banged on the aluminum ladder to call the divers to the surface, Herrin said. Once they were all on board, the boat went after ###.

The crew found her floating on the surface, not breathing, about 15 to 20 minutes later. She was pulled onto the boat and crewmembers began cardiopulmonary resuscitation. She was brought to shore, where she was met by paramedics from the Islamorada Fire Rescue Department, who pronounced her dead.

The Monroe County medical examiner is planning an autopsy to determine the cause of death.

Prayers to the family

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sad indeed.

It was just surprising to me to read how one minute she is at the back of the boat removing gear and then floated away before anyone could reach her for another 20 minutes or so. I would have thought a crew member would have jumped in and just towed her back to the boat. I guess it wasn't that simple.

Very sad indeed.

It was just surprising to me to read how one minute she is at the back of the boat removing gear and then floated away before anyone could reach her for another 20 minutes or so. I would have thought a crew member would have jumped in and just towed her back to the boat. I guess it wasn't that simple.

I heard over the vhf that the seas were running 5-7feet today

Very sad indeed.

I've heard of a number of people in different incidents who surfaced, then lost consciousness or lost strength/muscle control at the ladder.

The story sounds really weird though. I can't imagine that anybody on the boat could watch her fall back in and then let her drift for 15 minutes.

Terry

Very sad indeed.

that was my thoughts also.... (of course I wasn't there....)

I heard over the vhf that the seas were running 5-7feet today

that would be pretty rough to try to get on any ladder and easily caught up or lost sight of.

I have been saying that for two years and have a one hour presentation on the failure of it. I do not understand why the instructor did not watch her actually get back on the boat. And even with those seas the Dm Should have been in the water with her and a flotation device to assist. Of course we do not know who was on the boat but it "seems" (crewmembers it says) that it was more than one person.

that was my thoughts also.... (of course I wasn't there....)

that would be pretty rough to try to get on any ladder and easily caught up or lost sight of.

I was not out myself but that was reported over the radio

Back
Top Bottom